Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crossbow/treestand users

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
For any of you that use crossbows from treestands. When you aren't holding your crossbow what do you hang it up with? Do you use the extended bow hangers that all compound users have gone to? Or do you use a hook against the tree? I like to use my binos and grunt/rattle so having free hands is a must at times... along with snacking and taking a leak.
I'm wondering if the extended holders can handle that much weight.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just started using a xbow last year so I have very limited knowledge or history with the art but agree on the lap/ rest technique in ladder stand. With a hang-on I hang tight to tree with step and try standing as much as possible versus sitting to eliminate too much movement at crunch time. When sitting at first light and last hour or high movement times I’ll sit with it on my lap ready for action.

Bigcountry40

Depends on what type of stand, my height, silhouette, if it’s a type set where I can see them coming from 100 yards or deer are on top of you in a blink of an eye. If I hang a cross bow or bow I use two muddy hooks from rural king that are like 2 bucks a peice. One hook for the bow , other for my arrows and my Fanny pack wrapped around the tree above my head, everything else I need is typically on my body.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
20220926_183040.jpg

If I'm using my Summit Viper climbing tree stand, I just use the limb holder style that I use for my compound. Wish I could remember who makes it, but it attaches to the rail of the hand climber.
R10.jpg

If I'm using my Cruzr XC tree saddle, I use the gear holder that has 4 rubber coated hooks, one of which is larger than the other 3 for hanging a bow/xbow/recurve. 👍
Elite Ritual 1.jpg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Hang on stands are much easier to turn around in than the ladders we put up. But they are very comfortable and if the shot is in front of you the shooting rail is a great rest.
This is just going to be a big learning curve. I’m going to be honest, my compound bow was always hanging on a hook so I had the freedom to glass and call. It was never a problem to grab it when needed. It will just take time to figure out what works best for me. Thanks for the input fellas.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mike, not sure what ladder stands you’re using, but mine have the seat that flips up. So if I stand up I flip it up and there’s plenty of space for maneuverability.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Depends on the stand (like everyone else has said)

Ladder stands i generally hold on my lap or across the shooting trail. Hang ons have holders nearby. My climber i hold onto it also.

I do also hang my daypack with my other supplies. I also have some actual paracord that is connected to the crossbow and then carabinered to me or the stand. That way when/if i fall asleep and accidentally let go of it it doesn't fall to the ground.

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I was actually looking for a hands free sling, one that has a single point connection under the hand guard. That way it hangs in front of me and needing it would take little movement.

oakswamper

around Toledo
I have put up double ladder stands all over my property, it sits right next to me with the butt on the seat and limbs on the shooting bar. I've never had a problem

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I’m starting to get things figured out. I’m now a fish in a puddle. Bought some of the hooks I used in the 80s/90s. Starting to feel a little more comfortable. I feel naked without a wrist release strapped to me but I’m starting to like that 😆.
I have some 22’ ladder stands up but still prefer lock-ons for better seclusion and freedom of movement in the stand.
0ABCE47D-1FFF-4115-89B9-5BFDC9BEBFDE.jpeg

Last edited: