Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crossbow Questions

IMHO tenpoint and Excalibur are the two best crossbows on the market. They also have prices that’ll fit any budget. I have a tenpoint with the accu draw and it is very easy to use. I may also get a second crossbow as a backup Incase something goes wrong with my primary during the season. Also looking at the Excalibur micro that Giles mentioned simply because it is a recurve type crossbow with very little that can go wrong with it. I’ve had a Excalibur before and it was very good quality. I got rid of it because it had a wide wingspan that would grab every branch that you walked by when it was slung over your shoulder. The micro should alleviate that problem.

When someone asks me for a recommendation, those are the 2 companies that I recommend. Both have great customer service. I mean great. If you need a crank cocker the Acudraw is tough to beat although I have tried Excals new one that they came out with this year.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

tpierce

I've had an Excal Matrix 355 for 4-5 years now. It's a tank. It's killed everything I've shot with it. Very durable. I've accidentally dry-fired it 2 times and it's fine. Draw weight I think is 275lbs. but easy with cocking rope. I even dropped from 15 ft once, and it was fine.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've had an Excal Matrix 355 for 4-5 years now. It's a tank. It's killed everything I've shot with it. Very durable. I've accidentally dry-fired it 2 times and it's fine. Draw weight I think is 275lbs. but easy with cocking rope. I even dropped from 15 ft once, and it was fine.

Damn, you’re hard on equipment T 😂😂😂

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I know another guy who dry fired an Excalibur twice. Pretty good testimonial from 2 guys. Wasn't me. Won't mention names. Not someone you'd ever guess to dry fire one.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not on the older ones at least. I have a Browning Orion that I've had 30 yrs & still use. I have dried fired it twice, the 2nd at the beginning of this season when first practice shots came. Dumb dumb, but holds up well. What I like the most is I can cock it & uncock it by hand.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I told you mine..............Velocity, Armigettonit (sp) with Rage heads. Never had one NOT pass through and the farthest they went was approx. 30 yards.

t they went was 30 yards.

Jal5

If your bow doesn’t have the crank handle you can get a device that goes on the end of the stock and you crank it designed for any xbow. Used one the year after my back surgery and it worked well on a Horton bow.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Isn’t there a safety device on the bow that locks out the trigger until an arrow is loaded?

I'd have to look at the crossbow and cock it to confirm. Can't remember exactly what it was but there is something quirky about the Excalibur we have. I think you have to have the safety off to cock it, then put the bolt in and turn the safety back to safe position.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Guilty. I dry fired that sucker two times and it still drives nails. I’ve never even changed the string on it. I’ve had a new string for several years, the original has never needed replacing. I hurt my shoulder the other day so I had Mason check the zero on both out Excaliburs.... both still dead on and I couldn’t tell you the last time they were fired. I like equipment that I can’t tear up. Excalibur Xbox’s, original Trophy Taker arrow rests and Winners Choice bowstrings are the only hunting tools I’ve not been able to find faults with. And of course a Mathews Switchback, that’s a quality product too. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Speaking of buying quality... anytime someone claims a product is “as good as”————- , just buy the ———- And if anyone ever tries to tell me again that Proline bowstrings are as good as Winners Choice, I’m gonna backhand that liar.

Reactions: "J"

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Rick, I’ve never really used the accudraw, just the string and like you said just stand up with it. But the accudraw seems like it’d be the way to go from what I’ve seen of them and for someone having issues with a shoulder?
Sorry J...missed this. String cockers can be made custom for your bow. The "stroke" can be a tad shorter. Less rotation at the shoulder.