Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Creamer's trail cam pics

Creamer

Athens
I figured instead of new threads I'd just make one like some others have done and post to it. Had a good card pull today, as expected. This is a small property surrounded by big woods, and I typically do not get many good buck photos until mid-November here. There's a lot of does where I'm hunting (I try to make a dent), and bucks tend to find the food in the silly season and then become regular visitors until the end of the season. The downside is, like I said it's a small property, and the majority of buck activity is at night even with minimal pressure. I haven't hunted it since arrowing a doe about 3 weeks back.

This buck I have been hoping would show again this year, I think he's old based on his tank body but I only have pics of him last year and this year. Same story as last year, no pics until mid-Nov, then tons through Jan. Here he is last year. One side is jacked up and gnarly, very narrow rack.

And this year.

This is the buck I have the most history with there, nearly having killed him last year. He likes to prance around in the daylight when I can't hunt.

And this deer may be new to me. Not 100% sure if I had him on camera last year but I like what I see.

Creamer

Athens
That knarly one should put on some mass for next year. He definitely got bigger compared to last year. That 10 looks young TOO...you should have some great deer to chase next season if they make it through. Good luck.

If you're talking about the 10 in daylight, you should check out the other post from a while back titled "Older than he looks." That's a deer that doesn't look old at all, but is at least 5.5 based off 4 consecutive years of trail cam photos. You'd never guess it based off one current pic, but history shows he's older.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
If you're talking about the 10 in daylight, you should check out the other post from a while back titled "Older than he looks." That's a deer that doesn't look old at all, but is at least 5.5 based off 4 consecutive years of trail cam photos. You'd never guess it based off one current pic, but history shows he's older.
If that’s the case, I’d let the knarly one get another year and go after that ten. Any daytime pics or is he nocturnal?

Creamer

Athens
I tied up a teaser on a hookless shank the other night. I hung it in front of a camera in video mode off the back yard. We've had a lot of foxes, skunks, raccoons, and coyotes show up on camera here. Might get some funny video of something attacking this thing.

Creamer

Athens
I've never been so happy for a bad card pull. Before the bow opener, I set up a camera and brushed in a ground blind in what I thought would be a good rut travel pinch, but never got a chance to hunt it. It was a narrow bench with a steep bank above and below connecting the area where there's a feeder and known bedding. I was kicking myself for not hunting it, but seeing the lack of activity on camera, I feel better about not sitting it.

Some nighttime buck traffic but not much.

The lone daytime buck photo.

And this nonsense...way too soon for halfsies.

Creamer

Athens
The decoy thingy for the back yard produced very little. I even tossed out some old smoked fish and some squirrel McBits there. No foxes, no coyotes. I got skunks, raccoons, possums, and the neighborhood cats. All that took an interest in my feather and fluff was a raccoon and a cat.

So basically I made a cat toy. Awesome.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
The decoy thingy for the back yard produced very little. I even tossed out some old smoked fish and some squirrel McBits there. No foxes, no coyotes. I got skunks, raccoons, possums, and the neighborhood cats. All that took an interest in my feather and fluff was a raccoon and a cat.

So basically I made a cat toy. Awesome.
Lol

Creamer

Athens
Over the past few weeks, I've "restocked" my scrap and bait pile at the house with squirrel bits, squirrel skins I had shaved the hair from (it's a fly tying thing, I'm weird), and deer scraps after cleaning the doe I shot in muzzleloader season. I've been really amazed at the variance in skunk coloration I get at home. We've had a lot of skunks in the yard in the past 12-18 months.

This one looks most normal to me.

This one is really black.

And this one is a lot more white.

Coyote showed up one night.

And I think this is a red fox, doesn't look like a gray to me. Not a great pic.

Checking the camera at my primary hunting area was a bit surprising. The half rack I posted nearly a month ago, that I thought had shed both sides, showed back up still carrying one side. The buck that I had pics of a month ago that had shed both sides had to be a different deer, obviously.

The old bully was still around a lot, always at night.

When those antlers stopped showing and a fully shed buck showed, I did some close looking at the bases. I'm fairly sure the old bully is fully shed. Check out how the bases are not located symmetrically on his head.

And here's an older pic from this year showing a good angle of the antler positions on his head.