Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crappie fishing question

Jal5

I read lots of articles and posts about it. Got out on the lake today and targeted crappie. Caught some and missed just as many. But I don’t get the fascination with them. These were small fish maybe males no e appeared to be full of eggs. As far as the fight a good sized bluegill or pumpkinseed fights more. White bass definitely fight more. Using light tackle too.
Joe

Reactions: Jackalope

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
For me it’s all about learning a specific species. Anyone and I mean anyone can catch crappie right now. Small males are up shallow and the big girls will be following in the next few days. Some are already up and willing to take a jig on nearly every cast, but I think we are still a couple days from peak around here. Going out to target big crappie in July or August is another sport altogether, and it is a real challenge and very rewarding when you can actually pull it off with regularity.
Right now is a good time to just collect fillets, no real challenge. No technique needed. As an example, yesterday my son, my buddy and his son boated over 300, kept 50-60, the biggest being 14”, and several that were close to that. It may not be a thrill for you, but any species that will allow me to boat that many fish in a day is alright in my book.

Jal5

I will definitely keep trying. Fishing from bank yesterday didn’t allow optimum spots really. I have some boat repairs to do this week so next week will be my targeted fishing days on the water.

Reactions: giles