Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote time

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've been doing a bunch of reading and watching videos over the past year and decided to take a different approach. Some may remember that huge Vortex I had mounted on the AR a couple summers ago at Logan. Great scope and it did what I wanted to do at the time but it was a little overkill on that platform.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. I finally found a deal I could live with on a Sightmark Wraith 4-32×50 HD digital. I got it mounted and finally found a few minutes this afternoon to get it on the range. Cold as hell and couldn't feel my fingers but I got it dialed in after just a couple shots. Quickest and probably easiest scope I have sighted in.

Factory ammo @100

20210124_165235.jpg

Got it hitting paper at 50 made 2 adjustments. Moved out to the 100 and made 2 minor adjustments and started putting them in a decent group given the factory loads.

20210124_165532.jpg

20210124_165552.jpg

I have a Bog Pod Death Grip that should be here tomorrow. Now I just need to upgrade the IR light to the Spot Hog Coyote Cannon and I'll be set.

I'll get out a few times this week after work and see if I can get some videos of coyotes wanting to play.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is probably the setup I will go with eventually. Looking forward to the results. Had a buddy send me a video last night. He set up at my property. Cat came into decoy. Had it in the cross hairs but didn't shoot my neighbors car. Lol. Later had a fox come in. Then an owl came in and took his decoy. Dropped it where he could find it though. Good adventures hunting them at night.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That is probably the setup I will go with eventually. Looking forward to the results. Had a buddy send me a video last night. He set up at my property. Cat came into decoy. Had it in the cross hairs but didn't shoot my neighbors car. Lol. Later had a fox come in. Then an owl came in and took his decoy. Dropped it where he could find it though. Good adventures hunting them at night.
The yotes around here have been shot at enough from people driving down the road that they refuse to come out during daylight hours. They will hang up in the fence row or brush and not give you a chance. I'm hoping by going out after hours they will feel a little more comfortable and take those couple extra steps into the open.

RedCloud,
I have the same scope on my Savage Predator, in 243. You'll really like the Coyote Cannon, as an upgrade. I have the 66 LRX, which is the model just under the Coyote Cannon and I can clearly identify critters out to 400 and 500 yards. The CC will definitely light them up. (y)
I'm waiting until the end of archery deer season, before I get real serious about killing coyotes.

The coyote breeding season is in full swing and the guys on Coyote Callers of Ohio (FB) have been slaughtering them. Branch and Justus Ousley just finished up a tournament at the Deerassic Coyote Round Up. They killed 21 coyotes in one night! :cool: The largest was 41 lbs. and the smallest was 27 lbs. Amazing!

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Pile of Coyotes.jpg
    Pile of Coyotes.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 243
RedCloud,
I have the same scope on my Savage Predator, in 243. You'll really like the Coyote Cannon, as an upgrade. I have the 66 LRX, which is the model just under the Coyote Cannon and I can clearly identify critters out to 400 and 500 yards. The CC will definitely light them up. (y)
I'm waiting until the end of archery deer season, before I get real serious about killing coyotes.

The coyote breeding season is in full swing and the guys on Coyote Callers of Ohio (FB) have been slaughtering them. Branch and Justus Ousley just finished up a tournament at the Deerassic Coyote Round Up. They killed 21 coyotes in one night! :cool: The largest was 41 lbs. and the smallest was 27 lbs. Amazing!

Bowhunter57
You'll have to ask those guys if they know of a feller named Coyote Ken?! He'd make them mollionanirs.