Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote in the Food Plot

Being late season for deer, food is going to be the main attraction. I have a connection with a local store for "outdated" fruits and vegetables, that I'm using to establish a food plot of sorts, for deer. This has worked well in the past, but this time the deer seem to be reluctant to show up. :unsure: Anytime this happens, I'm concerned that coyotes have moved into the area and are disturbing the deer movements.
Yesterday was the first full day for me being on stand near the newly established food plot. I seen NOTHING in the area moving, which is a bad sign. Then seconds after legal time, a damn coyote shows up. :mad: I seen him "dart" to one side, so I'd say my trail camera snapped an inferred photo of him and the light flash spooked him. He got all nervous and left before I could grab my bow to get a shot. :rolleyes:

Definitely, time to do some "maintenance" and trim these bastards up! 🐾☠️ I've had to do this in the past, but it's been a few years. Apparently, their numbers have increased or they think their territory has expanded. Ain't happening either way! I shot the male in the photo, a week after seeing him in my section of the woods. Haven't seen any more until last night.

Have you experienced this sort of "intrusion" by coyotes?
What did you do about it?

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Savage 22-250 4.jpg
    Savage 22-250 4.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 140

Floki

No usually you see a coyote in my experience ya got lucky we’re doing something right.

I personally never sit dirty tho. My bow is in my hands at all times compound or crossbow. To much movement to grab I’ve been burnt to many times over my life. “Personal choice I strictly ground hunt”

I’ve snared plenty of yotes shot a few. In my experience never saw one till I killed one then I see them all the time compared to when I didn’t.🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Bowhunter57
Well, I got a few too many photos of the perpetrator. :mad:
All of the other photos are trash pandas, a rabbit, a possum and 3 bucks. A 6 and an 8 pointer and a one-sided spike. Kinda got to expect the trash pandas and I don't mind the other critters getting a free meal. :)
However, the coyotes gotta go!!! ☠️

Attachments

• Coyote 1.JPG
    Coyote 1.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 113
  • rabbit 2.JPG
    rabbit 2.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 106
  • spike 7.JPG
    spike 7.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 6 buck 1.JPG
    6 buck 1.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 109
Do you still have the Sightmark?
RedCloud,
Yes, sir! I've already been out with it, once and will be making the rounds in the coming weeks. In the next section to the southwest, I seen 3 coyotes running across an open winter wheat field, at about 8:30 a.m. :unsure: Around here, it's rare, damn rare to see coyotes during daylight hours. I'd post the photo, but I took it with my cell phone and the quality isn't worth posting.
I gotta get some blood on this Savage Predator 243. ☠️🐾

Attachments

• Savage 243.jpg
    Savage 243.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 114

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sounds like some fun times ahead for ya. Wish I lived closer lol. Neither of my hunting buddies here have night scopes so hunting by myself isn't much fun

Sounds like some fun times ahead for ya. Wish I lived closer lol. Neither of my hunting buddies here have night scopes so hunting by myself isn't much fun
I've never hunted at night with anyone. I'm kind of particular about who I hunt with due to their weapons handling skills. Safety is paramount. 😎 I stopped hunting (daytime varmints) with a cousin, due to him being an idiot while handling a high powered varmint rifle. :rolleyes:
I'm not directing this at you. I'm sure if we lived closer, we'd give it a go and dump some coyotes. 💯

Reactions: RedCloud

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've never hunted at night with anyone. I'm kind of particular about who I hunt with due to their weapons handling skills. Safety is paramount. 😎 I stopped hunting (daytime varmints) with a cousin, due to him being an idiot while handling a high powered varmint rifle. :rolleyes:
I'm not directing this at you. I'm sure if we lived closer, we'd give it a go and dump some coyotes. 💯
Just having another person to help scan and bs with between stands would be nice. I would only ever have one person at a time running the gun anyway.

Reactions: Bowhunter57