Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coshocton County Trespass - Building layered security

Stressless

Keene, OH
BLUF: Deterrence.

Neighbor Cliff's house trailer was broken into again last week, second time in 4 years. This time the individual decided that Cliff's food, kitchen, bed, boots, ebike and ATV among other personal items were all his/theirs for use and exploring.

ATV was damaged/rolled but back in his barn
Ebike battery was drained and muddy... but back in his barn
Boots were gone with a pair of muddy sneakers left in exchange

Sheriff Dep's responded and while investigating figured the perp had lived, eaten, shit and slept in Cliff's place, barn and other outbuildings for days as well as was on premises when Cliff drove up... Cliff was unarmed.

When He went back a couple days ago the perp had left his boots back were he would find them along with a coat he hadn't noticed was gone. Cliff went in with his .44 locked and cocked - always a very uneasy feeling clearing a structure by yourself.

Not One Picture or Video, nor a alarm/alert system at his burglarized and vandalized place as Cliff had pulled the cameras and didn't have any running.

So I'm putting together layered security for him like I have at my farm, but with the old adage ringing in my brain (along with the tinnitus), "No one's as smart as all of us." I'm asking what you have/ what works / anything else I can should add below etc.

Primary Security:
- 4 Networked IPCam's via a Verizon Hotspot, two micro cams, aka spy cams (A/V) inside with mirco sd card and battery backup onboard. two wireless IPCams outside w micro SD card onboard - All four linked to his phone and email
- Shore power to small UPS feeding Wi-Fi hotspot, router and POE switch that feeds power to the IPCams outside, so if power is out or gets cut the primary security is still 100% operational.

Secondary Security:
- 2 Cell Cams on instant send, covering barn and house, covering the outside IPCams(the IPCams are covering the Cell Cams for overlap), both linked directly to phone and email Locked and >8' AGL

Tertiary Security:
- Trail Cams (old broken ones and live ones) covering main avenues of approach all above 8' and cable locked
- Signage on trailer/barn/main avenues of approach that the place has live video surveillance etc..

Last edited:

P8riot

Carbon, In
It sounds like he leaves it for days on end. Lights on timers to go on and off randomly in the house. Same with a radio, played at a normal listening level. If someone is staking it out, that would be a visual deterrent. If they get close enough, a radio will possibly help. They may get wise or they may not.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That is a very odd situation! What did the sheriff think?

break ins suck! But having someone live there - that’s some ballzy stuff!!

hope they catch the sucker.

P8riot

Carbon, In
The same thing happened at my house after the guy had passed and it was empty for a while with utilities still hooked up. They were vague but I think it was a family member. I looked like a hawk before making an offer, but nothing was damaged. I was very nervous when I first moved in. Let's say, I was ready for uninvited guests...

I guess if you have nothing to lose, it's a good situation (from their point of view). Temporary squatter. People are ballsy, especially full time squatters. I've seen it time and again where people think "well because you're not using it, I can" It's a weird entitled mentality that society has created.

Left field

The same thing happened at my house after the guy had passed and it was empty for a while with utilities still hooked up. They were vague but I think it was a family member. I looked like a hawk before making an offer, but nothing was damaged. I was very nervous when I first moved in. Let's say, I was ready for uninvited guests...

I guess if you have nothing to lose, it's a good situation (from their point of view). Temporary squatter. People are ballsy, especially full time squatters. I've seen it time and again where people think "well because you're not using it, I can" It's a weird entitled mentality that society has created.
With your 4 legged security I’d be hoping & waiting for them to come back 😂

Reactions: P8riot

Stressless

Keene, OH
With all the squatting BS being aloud to stand I’d spend whatever it takes to monitor 24/7. I’m surprised Cliff wasn’t doing that all long with all that expensive equipment there.
Ya, the last staw was going in with a .44 ready. One thing to say it, quite another to be without help in the dark clearing your home. He knew he should have it, just jazzed at his situation with his farm and was target fixated elsewhere.

@P8riot - the random light timer was a good addition, thank you.