Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cordless chainsaws

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sorry. I just don't see the point.

I'd no sooner own an electric chain saw than I would drag an extension cord up an down my lawn with an electric mower.

But that's just me...
Believe me, I get it. But these battery-powered saws are more capable than you can imagine. And you can't really see the benefit of one until you use it a few times. For average work, cleaning up snags and average size trees... the convenience is really hard to beat. No mixing fuel. No pull-starting. No deafening noise. Just pick up, pull the trigger, and cut. When you're done, put it away and don't worry about ethanol gelling up in your carburetor. Is it going to be running in 30 years like a tried and true gas-powered saw? I highly doubt it. But that's the trade-off. There's no replacement for gas saws when there's serious work to be done. But your average homeowner doesn't need that kind of power.

I own a 40-volt battery powered ice auger too. Will it be running in 30 years like all those 2-stroke gas augers of yesteryear? Probably not. But man, today, right now, it blows those gas augers clean out of the water. More power, more torque, no noise, no smoke/fumes, starts every time, AND it has reverse (incredibly useful for flushing slush from a ice hole). I might be dead in 30 years. So I'm going to use whatever tool makes my heart go pitter patter today.

Cordless, gas, and battery free.
20201216_231051.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The wife gave me a ryobi 40v chainsaw and weedeater for my birthday last fall. Finally put bar oil in it and have both batteries charged if this weather throws some curve balls. If it gets serious there are gas ones about 200 yards away in the shop in the farm.

14", chains were cheap on Amazon so i picked up a few.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The wife gave me a ryobi 40v chainsaw and weedeater for my birthday last fall. Finally put bar oil in it and have both batteries charged if this weather throws some curve balls. If it gets serious there are gas ones about 200 yards away in the shop in the farm.

14", chains were cheap on Amazon so i picked up a few.
My son bought one, I kinda scoffed at the idea at first. But was down at his place and used it. I was pleasantly surprised. So much so I bought the battery pole saw. Use the hell outta it around my place with great results. I’m kicking around picking up the chainsaw version as well. My stihl looks at me cross eyed when ever I’m in the shed now…. 🙄

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
My son bought one, I kinda scoffed at the idea at first. But was down at his place and used it. I was pleasantly surprised. So much so I bought the battery pole saw. Use the hell outta it around my place with great results. I’m kicking around picking up the chainsaw version as well. My stihl looks at me cross eyed when ever I’m in the shed now…. 🙄
Stihl makes battery powered chain saws.😊

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I find myself using my dewalt 20v 12” chainsaw more and more. I just cut almost a full face cord of white oak on 2 batteries.

I am seriously thinking of getting the 60v model in 16” or 18” when I can find a deal.
Are the chains for the cordless one similar quality to gas chains? sharpen the same?

Reactions: Clay Showalter

Jamie

Ohio
I own several battery powered Stihl product, and they have all exceeded my expectations. I’m going to get the 220 saw before I start putting up firewood this spring. The convenience and comfort of having durable, capable tools that require no gasoline or hearing protection is is difficult to overstate. I’m all in on green power equipment.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am happy I found this thread! I haven't used a battery-powered chainsaw but I have used a pole saw. For doing TSI work, it is fantastic. I can imagine a saw would be even better (easier to move through the woods). Carrying my sthl 291 is not an option to cut grapevines, on the side of a hill. A small battery-powered chainsaw, herbicide, etc. would be a GREAT "kit" to keep in back of ATV.

looks like I need to start shopping around for one!!

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles
I am happy I found this thread! I haven't used a battery-powered chainsaw but I have used a pole saw. For doing TSI work, it is fantastic. I can imagine a saw would be even better (easier to move through the woods). Carrying my sthl 291 is not an option to cut grapevines, on the side of a hill. A small battery-powered chainsaw, herbicide, etc. would be a GREAT "kit" to keep in back of ATV.

looks like I need to start shopping around for one!!

Exactly. Definitely on my purchase list for this spring (fingers crossed :ROFLMAO: ) for all those little logs and all and brush cutting as well. Swinging that big chainsaw around cutting small trees hanging out over the field will wear you out.

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Put mine through the test today. I'm sold on it. It's lighter than my Stihl just slightly. Love that there is no noise. No mixing fuel. Not crazy how you get the bar off though. Did quite a bit of work with it and never dropped much charge. I will say, I had the battery fully charged, put it in the saw for about 2 weeks and it was drained completely. Not sure what's up with that, my other DeWalt tools don't do this. It's definitely my go to saw for now.
0F8D42E5-E2E1-41C3-85C1-1668A8E4D16D.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My DeWalt cordless grease gun did this. My 18v one. I have a new one with the newer battery style and it doesn't seem to be doing so. Interesting to see I'm not alone.