Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cordless chainsaws

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I thought I saw a post about this but can’t find it. I am in the market for a new chainsaw and I know stihl has a cordless one and wondering what people’s thoughts are about them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I thought I saw a post about this but can’t find it. I am in the market for a new chainsaw and I know stihl has a cordless one and wondering what people’s thoughts are about them.
As a trimming saw, it’ll work fine. For cutting firewood I’d be Leary.... I’ve been looking at one for trimming low hanging branches along the driveway. I like the weight of the electric vs the gas model....

Reactions: at1010

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I bought the stihl battery powered one this summer. Used it for cleaning up some small to mid sized trees and branches that fell during a storm. Also took it to Ohio to clear deadfall that fell across the path to my stand. Doesn’t have near the power of a gas saw, and I knew that going in...but for smaller to mid sized trees, it works without the noise and don’t have to worry about getting gasoline smell in your truck/hunting clothes. Just let the saw do the work and don’t push hard on it and it’ll cut most anything within reason. I’ll locate a pic of some deadfall I cut here in jersey and post it.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
F0DEE521-E1EB-4C5F-997D-7DC1E029B39D.jpeg
2B97E7EE-0BDC-42AA-AB5B-C626EB261C64.jpeg

Reactions: "J"

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Make sure you buy an extra battery, as one will last a little over an hour with continued use...two should get the job done. If you need more than two hours, you’re better off with a gas powered saw. The battery powered one is great for cutting shooting lanes and clean up around quad trails, logging roads, or cutting some wood for your fire pit.

Reactions: "J"

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Stihl MSA-220 will cut more than you can believe, and then some more. For electric, it's an incredibly capable saw. I haven't grabbed a gas saw for cleanup work since I don't know when. The electric saws are just so damn convenient. Very spendy, though...

Nighthawk

Pickaway
Picked up the Dewalt one this summer for trimming and such. Most of my other tools are Dewalt so it just made sense to be able to use the same batteries. No complaints with probably several hours of use. Best thing about these battery powered is you don't have to keep starting it up every time you stop and move limbs.

Reactions: 5Cent and Sgt Fury

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
Picked up the Dewalt one this summer for trimming and such. Most of my other tools are Dewalt so it just made sense to be able to use the same batteries. No complaints with probably several hours of use. Best thing about these battery powered is you don't have to keep starting it up every time you stop and move limbs.

Yea I am thinking about the 20v dewalt because I also have all dewalt tools

Reactions: 5Cent

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a Greenworks one. I loved it at first. However, the battery quit charging after about a year. Bought a new battery. It lasted about the same. So I said F it and bought a real chainsaw.
For the cost of new batteries for it, I could buy a gas one. So that’s what I did.
I doubt I’ll buy another battery for mine. Maybe the other ones the guys mentioned do better in the battery department.
I’ll sell you the greenworks one! Just need to buy that $70 battery or whenever it costs now.

However, for small jobs it worked very well. And it was nice taking it to a spot that needed shooting lanes cleared quietly. It was convenient, that’s for sure.

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
Got a deal on the Dewalt 20v with 5.0 amp hour battery for only $199, just makes sense with all of my other 20v tools. This is only going to be for small clean up stuff, still have my gas powered stihl for firewood work.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm sorry. I just don't see the point.

I'd no sooner own an electric chain saw than I would drag an extension cord up an down my lawn with an electric mower.

But that's just me...