Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Controlled Hunts

I am in the “waiting” mode for my next elk trip. Went in 19 and my budget and wife will only enable me to go every 3 years. So I started wondering about Ohio’s controlled hunts for deer as an alternative to go some place cheap and hunt.

I dont know much about them other than that they are cheap to apply for and it seems most aren’t for trophies but rather management. Any of you have any experience with any of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG2

I have been to Plumbrook and Ravenna, they just renamed this to Camp James Garfield. Both are good hunts and if you get the right location you can get a big one. I took a big 10 pt in Plumbrook back in 1990. Ravenna took a hard hit to the deer population a couple of years ago and they figured out why the drop, coyotes, they allowed trappers in and I think they took over 100 yotes in 1 season. The deer are making a comeback. It is all dependent on where they put you!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've been donating for over 10 years. I did have the opportunity to hunt Plumbrook as a guest. I only had opportunities at bucks but I didn't have a buck tag. Very good time. My buddy took a doe and buck.