Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Colorado Elk

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
My son Tyler, left after work Thursday evening at 7:00 pm for a DIY public land archery elk hunt with a buddy. They arrived about 6:00 p.m. They started up the mountain this morning and got on a Bull early but Tyler said it was “his playground and he won”. I am getting messages from him on his Garmin Inreach. Around lunch I get a message saying “shot a stud”. It turns out to be a 6x6 that they called in when they stopped for a lunch break. He said he can’t stop shaking. Neither can I and I’m at work! Whenever I get pics I will post them.
676657FC-FD84-4047-B0FC-CD8ED3BAB8DF.png

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a giant? DIY elk hunt? Not much experience elk hunting (I am guessing)? The equivalent to a spike should be considered a giant! Congrats to the young man!

Reactions: triple_duece

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
You gotta be crazy proud, that is awesome!
Now he's got a lot of work ahead of him, lugging that around LOL. But I'll bet he's as high as a kite on adrenaline.

I see steaks in your future!

Reactions: Spencie

Fletch

Supporting Member
Fantastic!!!! What's more to say??? Can't get any better than that... Beautiful animal... Tell him CONGRATS AND A JOB WELL DONE... Dad must be prouder than proud....(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: Spencie

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
This is the message I got from Tyler this morning:
Headed back to the mountain. We got a hotel last night. Sat down for lunch and as we got done he bugled 200 yards below us. Ethan went up the hill so I grabbed my bow and went 25 yards toward him. He answered my bugle and Ethan started raking a tree. The bull tore up 2 trees 100 yards out but I couldn’t see. Ethan could and I hear him whisper SHOOTER COMING. came right at us. Drew at 40 yards and had to hold for 30 seconds or better. Thought it was going to be a straight on shot but finally turned enough put a double lung shot on him. Didn’t know what to do after that lol. Not but 1 drop of blood. Went 250 yards. Tracked his tracks right to him but slowly. Started to come off the high real quick but ended well. Most of it is on the Tactacam

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Too good! Thats a beautiful animal, be damn proud dad. Crazy how guys hunt for days/weeks and never get a shot and then there are situations like this. Right place, right time and a well executed shot. Look forward to the video when he gets home.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Too good! Thats a beautiful animal, be damn proud dad. Crazy how guys hunt for days/weeks and never get a shot and then there are situations like this. Right place, right time and a well executed shot. Look forward to the video when he gets home.
When we went 2 years ago to the same place he never saw an elk in a week of hunting. He had a couple real close but that area is very rugged. This time it all worked in his favor. There were other guys hunting from the same trail head but Tyler and Ethan didn’t take the trail. Oh to be young again.

Reactions: Bankfish