Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

College Football Thread

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Garbage performance against a team that wanted to beat Bama man. Made for an interesting game though. Came down to a FG. That's what happens when you get to the red zone time and time again and settle for a FG. Can't win em all, just most of them. 👍
Great game for sure! Georgia woulda won though….😂🤣😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: rookie-newb

Creamer

Athens
In a game probably nobody here saw but me, the lowly Ohio University Bobcats gacked away another homecoming game. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is the homecoming tradition in Athens. This Ohio team is bad. Like "lost to FCS Duquesne at home" bad. And that being said, somehow they made it into the 4th quarter with a 7 point lead. CMU gets a FG, then the Swiss cheese Ohio defense allows the CMU freshman QB to chuck a few balls down the sidelines and bada-bing-bada-boom 10 unanswered and Ohio trails by 3. That's when shit gets weird. Ohio is driving, gets stopped on 3rd and 2 and it looked like defensive PI should have been called on CMU. So much so that an undressed player on the Ohio bench goes off on the nearest ref, resulting in a 15 yard unsportsmanlike on Ohio. A manageable 4th and 2 becomes 4th and 17, they punt, and never get the ball back. Game over.

Weird shit happens in Peden Stadium.

Creamer

Athens
Oh no he's 24-1. 😅.

• Haha
Reactions: giles and Sgt Fury

Creamer

Athens
Bama still controls their own fate. If they run the table and beat UGA in the SEC title game, they're in. Another L and they're probably out.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Maybe the wannabes need to join real conferences. Just watch what happens to Cincy if they make the playoffs.
That's irrelevant. Watch damn near any team not named BAMA or Clemson the last decade. Tell me in what other sport college or pro is there such a small amount of teams making the playoff. I just cant comprehend the thinking of less is better when it's the same old, same old. Unless your a fan of one of those same old teams

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
That's irrelevant. Watch damn near any team not named BAMA or Clemson the last decade. Tell me in what other sport college or pro is there such a small amount of teams making the playoff. I just cant comprehend the thinking of less is better when it's the same old, same old. Unless your a fan of one of those same old teams
I wasnt a fan of the playoffs to begin with. Im not a fan of expanding their nonsense. Bottom line...to be the man ya gotta beat the man. To do that you gotta join one of the big boy conferences. The last damn thing I want is a team with a legitimate shot to win it all, have their QB injured while playing some scrub team who has no business being there to begin with.

Don't like Bama, Clemson, or OSU always being in the playoffs? Then beat their ass during the regular season.

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I wasnt a fan of the playoffs to begin with. Im not a fan of expanding their nonsense. Bottom line...to be the man ya gotta beat the man. To do that you gotta join one of the big boy conferences. The last damn thing I want is a team with a legitimate shot to win it all, have their QB injured while playing some scrub team who has no business being there to begin with.

Don't like Bama, Clemson, or OSU always being in the playoffs? Then beat their ass during the regular season.
You do realize the best teams in November and December weren't always the best In September. College football is ruled by recruiting. It's just a cycle. The top 2-3 teams always make it. Then the top top players go to said teams. Rinse and repeat. What all the Bamas, OSU's, and Clemsons dont want is other teams getting a chance at playoffs which would in turn give them a bump in recruiting. I've followed recruiting intently for 25 years, I understand the dynamics involved with winning and prestige and how it correlates to recruiting success, which results in success on the field. You dont like the playoffs? Do you not enjoy March Madness?

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
You do realize the best teams in November and December weren't always the best In September. College football is ruled by recruiting. It's just a cycle. The top 2-3 teams always make it. Then the top top players go to said teams. Rinse and repeat. What all the Bamas, OSU's, and Clemsons dont want is other teams getting a chance at playoffs which would in turn give them a bump in recruiting. I've followed recruiting intently for 25 years, I understand the dynamics involved with winning and prestige and how it correlates to recruiting success, which results in success on the field. You dont like the playoffs? Do you not enjoy March Madness?
Not really...I don't like basketball to begin with, but the dynamics of the sport are different. The demands put on the players are different. You can play 30 basketball games per season. You can't do that with football.

I'm a conservative. I don't believe in changing anything unless its broken. The BCS worked just fine for selecting the #1 and #2 teams in the nation and pitting them for the national championship. But we gave in to the playoff hucksters and expanded that to four. But that's not good enough....when will it be?

When we allow the top two teams frm every conference in?

I understand that winning breeds winners. And that kids will flock to play for the team that gives them the best chance to get to the NFL. Right now, those teams are Bama, OSU, and Clemson. Twenty five years ago those teams were Florida, Florida State, Miami and Nebraska. Where are those teams now?

All its going to take to break the deadlock at the top is for Saban to retire. He will likely be replaced by Smart and UGA. There is no need to upend the entire system just because some teams want to luck into the playoffs now. Also, there will be no end to the whining. If you expand the playoffs to six teams then the seventh will whine and cry and throw tantrums. Expand it to 8 and the 9th team will whine and cry. And nothing will change. Bama, OSU, and Clemson will still whip all their asses in the playoffs anyway.

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
FWIW, @Jackalope and @bowhunter1023, the post above this fell victim to wildlife's cross site scripting error. The word "from" in

"When we allow the top two teams from every conference in?" triggered it. Yet, when copied here, it does not trigger it. Definitely a bug somewhere.

Reactions: Jackalope