Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

College Football Thread

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Times have changed and teams/coaches can’t stockpile talent down the depth chart like they could before the transport portal and with the realignment of conferences and playoff system the college football landscape is in unknown territory. I’d say he is getting out while still near the top AND before taking a chance on the program backsliding with all the new changes. We also don’t know what his health is like or family wants either so that could be an influence in his decision as well.

Reactions: hickslawns

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Times have changed and teams/coaches can’t stockpile talent down the depth chart like they could before the transport portal and with the realignment of conferences and playoff system the college football landscape is in unknown territory.

You're absolutely right The landscape is changing. The writing has been on the wall since the BCS days that everyone was tired of a single conference dominating the title games. Fans were tired and bitching about it and viewership and the all king money was suffering. They key to that domination was depth and development. To "fix" that they went to a 4 team playoff system hoping that would add enough random results. That still didn't "fix" it. The bitching continued and viewership was suffering with their coveted playoff system.

So they removed the 1 season penalty for the transfer portal, added some NIL changes to incentivize players to not sit the bench on a depth chart their first two years. And further expanded the playoff to 12 teams to add more random results. Basically whatever it took to nullify the strategy of recruiting top talent, developing that talent, and stacking the depth chart. But if you were Nick Saban, the writing has been on the wall for many many years. They'll stop at nothing to stop you to include changing whatever format and rules are needed to nullify your consistent success. It's purely "If you can't win just change the rules"

Most say it's great for college football because it spreads everything around, Theres not much of an argument to be made against that. It's no doubt great for the NCAA and CFP bank accounts, the Michigan / Washington game was the most watched in 4 years. Looking back at ratings even back to the BCS era, confrences like the Big 10 bring viewers due to state populations. At the end of the day it's entertainment, and they need to make it entertaiing.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I don't get it, Harbaugh had a rough start at Michigan, finally got things going, wins a national championship and jumps ship. I would think he would want to build a legacy.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
There’s a rumor going around that he wanted a no fire clause for anything he’s caught doing past or present. Michigan said no.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Screenshot_20240306_142734_Instagram.jpg