Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
By the appearance of the bow as well as the placement of the arrow, you may have just whittled out your life’s masterpiece. Nicely done!

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jamie

Ohio
thatnks Brock, but I doubt it. I could point out a dozen things wrong with this bow. making bows is just like shooting them, playing golf, etc. you just keep trying to do it better no matter how good that last shot was.

Jamie

Ohio
make no mistake, I think this is an excellent bow. considering how many things I did differently with this bow, I think it's one of my better efforts, honestly, but that's not the point of my post. this is not my ninth symphony. hopefully, Brock is wrong, and I will make a better bow than this some day soon. besides all of that, I just don't like to sound like I think that highly of myself. lots of compliments here on my work, and appreciate them all, but I don't ever expect them.

Creamer

Athens
Cold shot was low this morning. It's not always puppy dogs and rainbows.

Puppy dogs and rainbows on the next shot.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
have not seen a bow or arrow since last Sunday morning. wielding a 4" war club disguised as a paint brush brushing stain on a log home all day long everyday last week made for some serious muscle fatigue in my arms, back and shoulders. pointless to try to shoot without some recuperation time. felt pretty good this morning, so I braced a bow.

cold shot from about 18 yards. I think I just got lucky today. :LOL:
IMG_3074.jpg

too many poor shots in between the first and last, but I was working on my anchor a little bit. I think I finally found the sweet spot by raising it up just a little. gotta learn to do it the same way every time without thinking about it now. last group from about 20 yards in steady drizzle with a 15 mph crosswind in wide open area. good round to quit on.
IMG_3075.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice shooting fellas! If those foam deer were flesh and blood there would be some celebratory comments this evening!

I shot most of the day. I’ve no idea how many arrows I launched but it was way more than I should have. My middle finger is number from the first joint to the tip. Lol

Jamie, for fun I added some decorations to my simple bow today. I thought I’d share a pic to see if you’d lose your mind. 😁
EAB5065B-83B7-4846-B88B-04ADC29DDA18.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
I need to figure out a way to put a kick stand like that on my bow. I like it. with a couple of hose clamps it could double as a mount for your Zebco when you go bow fishing, or deer hunting, for that matter (don't forget to use barbed broadheads, though). :D it's like a multi tool for your bow. I'll be you could sell those...

Creamer

Athens
I shoot 3-under but I don't use the point. I tried it, it just didn't work for me. I look down the shaft for "windage" but I can't focus on the point. When I tried it, it was a total disaster.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It does take some getting used to. I’ve never done it until the last few days. What I’ve found so far is consistency. My first shot of the day is as good as it gets. In a hunting scenario, we are only worried about that first arrow. I think there is a real advantage to it vs using “that feels right” as I can count the number of times shooting at a deer that it felt right.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shoot 2-under but I don't use the point on for reference. Kinda like Creamer, I just peripherally sight down the arrow for windage. I have tried it though. I think if I hold point-on at anything 25 and under I miss pretty high. My point-on distance is more like 40 yards.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I shoot 2-under but I don't use the point on for reference. Kinda like Creamer, I just peripherally sight down the arrow for windage. I have tried it though. I think if I hold point-on at anything 25 and under I miss pretty high. My point-on distance is more like 40 yards.
Interesting. Mine was much higher until I began messing around trying to get really good arrow flight ( which I had not done seriously since about 2005). My knock point now is very high but that is where it needs to be to get the flight I want. The last time I did serious arrow tuning was with the RD longbow I shoot. I bought it from a guy who told me up front he could not get an arrow to shoot well from it. He just had not looked high enough on the string for the sweet spot. Now, my point on with this bow is 15 yards. 25 yards my point is laying ten inches above where I want the arrow to land. It’s weird but I’m getting used to it. I just came in from another round of shooting. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever shot better. First arrow to the last and have pretty much eliminated those bothersome flyers.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interesting. Mine was much higher until I began messing around trying to get really good arrow flight ( which I had not done seriously since about 2005). My knock point now is very high but that is where it needs to be to get the flight I want. The last time I did serious arrow tuning was with the RD longbow I shoot. I bought it from a guy who told me up front he could not get an arrow to shoot well from it. He just had not looked high enough on the string for the sweet spot. Now, my point on with this bow is 15 yards. 25 yards my point is laying ten inches above where I want the arrow to land. It’s weird but I’m getting used to it. I just came in from another round of shooting. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever shot better. First arrow to the last and have pretty much eliminated those bothersome flyers.
Weird indeed. Just goes to show how different some of these bows really are. I just went out a few minutes ago and tried one for the hell of it. Point-on at 20 yards... Hit about 15" too high. The center of my arrow at the nock point is 3/4" above square. I've tried 7/8" and even slightly higher and my arrows nosedive big time. So for me, anything 30 yards and closer is pretty much instinctive. When I want to mess around and shoot longer distances I can hold pretty close to point-on at 40 yards... then add elevation for additional yardage beyond that.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Everyone shoots a trad bow differently. There is no way a bow tuned for you would shoot well for me. I’ve shot a lot of bows belonging to others, set up for good arrow flight for them and I’ve yet to shoot a good arrow out of someone else’ bow. Just the nature of them. A little difference in hand pressure, string contact with fingers, all that and likely more.

Reactions: jagermeister