Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
haven't had to wear much until today. dressing for cold while still being able to shoot a trad bow is quite important when the temps start getting into the 20's at night and you actually meant to kill something while your out there freezing. It is practically a science. This is why I am A#1 Sitka gear fanboy. I've never owned any hunting clothing that is designed and cut better for shooting my bow with layers on. and it's quiet and warm and durable.
Knowing how pragmatic you are, this is a solid endorsement. I came home to their catalog today after thinking I need better bibs most of the day. I don't have the same concerns in terms of upper body, but could stand a better pair of bottoms.

Reactions: Jamie

Creamer

Athens
Maybe I go about this all wrong, but it does work really well for me. I do layer well, but when it gets cold, I also use one of the stick on air activated body warmers. I usually put it on my first layer, right in the middle of my back. Then I don't have to wear bulky clothes at all, really. With dry wool socks (I never wear them on the walk in), the heat pad on my back, and a hand muff with a couple of warmers in it I stay really comfy.

But speaking of making sure you can shoot with stuff on, I started trimming my ghillie suit last night to make sure there's no string interference. :devilish:

Creamer

Athens
Night time ghillie suit testing. It's about time to bust out the ghillie. I've had to trim a lot of material from the bow arm and the left side of the chest, but I have it in good shape right now to not interfere on shots.

Cold, in the dark, 14 yards, ghillie'd up.

Creamer

Athens
I've been paying more attention to my hook/grip on the string since I watched a short Tom Clum video the other day. I feel like my release is a little cleaner now. Cold shot today from 18.

I walked down to the deer bag and shot the same shot I missed on Saturday. Trying not to dwell on it but seeing this happen on the bag just pisses me off.

Jamie

Ohio
Just my opinion, but the best practice a person can do in preparation for hunting is shooting at a 3D target with no backstop, stump shooting, and bowfishing.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jamie

Ohio
I have destroyed every archery target I ever owned, lol. That is what they are for. A quality target with replaceable core/midsection will last a long time unless you tear it up with broadheads.
I’m not saying don’t shoot a bag or cube. I spend plenty of time beating on my bag target. Just saying I think a 3D target is better practice for hunting.

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
I have destroyed every archery target I ever owned, lol. That is what they are for. A quality target with replaceable core/midsection will last a long time unless you tear it up with broadheads.
I’m not saying don’t shoot a bag or cube. I spend plenty of time beating on my bag target. Just saying I think a 3D target is better practice for hunting.

I agree they are good practice, I just got tired of the hassle. Fixing it, patching it up, moving it...when it broke in half the last time I was done with it. I wish I could stump more often, but I don't have access to the property behind our place to do it and we own less than an acre of just yard. Most of my stump shooting happens if I carry a blunt tip on long hikes in, and I don't do that as much as I should.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree they are good practice, I just got tired of the hassle. Fixing it, patching it up, moving it...when it broke in half the last time I was done with it. I wish I could stump more often, but I don't have access to the property behind our place to do it and we own less than an acre of just yard. Most of my stump shooting happens if I carry a blunt tip on long hikes in, and I don't do that as much as I should.
Get some Judo points and your yard suddenly becomes an endless opportunity range. Best heads ever made for such practice.