Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jim, have you ever tried string walking? If I had a higher point on, I’d be string walking. I fooled around with it recently and was amazed at how well I was able to place arrows. Essentially like looking down the barrel of a shotgun. Easily duplicated aiming system. And that is exactly what I’m looking for to hunt deer. It may seem less “traditional “, but by god I like hitting where I’m aiming consistently.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I shoot three under as well. I am still fairly new to this trad world. I have messed around with gap shooting as well as point. I seem to shoot much better at instinct. I will continue to mess around with all as I get more comfortable with the stick bow.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Jim, have you ever tried string walking? If I had a higher point on, I’d be string walking. I fooled around with it recently and was amazed at how well I was able to place arrows. Essentially like looking down the barrel of a shotgun. Easily duplicated aiming system. And that is exactly what I’m looking for to hunt deer. It may seem less “traditional “, but by god I like hitting where I’m aiming consistently.

I have messed around with the string walk as well. I was impressed. Messed with my mind though. Just couldn't comprehend why it works the way it does. I really need the physics piece to make it work in my head.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Essentially you change the angle of the string The closer the target, the lower your fingers. You anchor the same every time so the angle of the arrow changes but appears the same at full draw. You need to know where to place your fingers for yardage. In Jim’s case, 40 yards would be directly under the knock, 30 would likely be a half inch farther down, 20 and inch or so, etc. The exact measurements would depend on the archer as well as their set up but I think you get the idea.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have not. I've been tempted to try it, but I just haven't. I don't think I will to be honest. For me, the lack of aiming is really my main allure to shooting this trad bow. I like hitting my spots as much as anyone... but if I'm consciously aiming my arrow to make that happen, I just don't get the same satisfaction out of it. It takes the magic and mystery away from it. Yea I know... From a hunting and effectiveness standpoint, my stance on this is pretty stupid. Believe me, I get it. But so far I'm okay with being relatively handicapped and I'm enjoying the process. I don't want any of this to be construed as an Elitest perspective, because that's not it at all. I just really have fun with the relative uncertainty and challenge of the trad bow. If I was bowhunting strictly to hit spots and put meat in my freezer, I'd hang this recurve up and knock the dust off of my compound. For now, I save that approach for the gun seasons, which I enjoy almost as much.

Reactions: Quantum673

Creamer

Athens
Cold shot(s) today. First six arrows from 18.

Jamie

Ohio
have not been shooting since last Tuesday. was hitting it pretty hard at work this week swinging a brush and whizz roller all day long, mostly from extension ladders, three days straight. arm, shoulders, back totally spent by the end of the day. rested yesterday, got all my stands and other gear down out of the garage rafters, got my other targets out and set up for shooting off of my deck to simulate shooting from tree stands as this is where I do most of my hunting. felt pretty good today. felt strong and my form was good. enjoyable round of practice. I shoot a bunch of arrows at three targets from the deck, including broadhead arrows so I don't have to fetch them as often. shot over 100 arrows in less than an hour and a half. didn't hurt a bit. :) I've decided that I'm going with the surest bet there is in broadheads. two blade Zwickey Delta's on bidness end of my sticks this season. they just seem to be finding their mark the best, so I'm rolling with it.

first five from my elevated position. the one longer shot, about 25 yards, one was the cold shot. the closer target is about 17 or 18 yards.

IMG_3100.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice shooting Miller!

I’ve been at the lake the last couple days. I put the boat in the garage and grabbed my bow. Shot maybe 15 arrows. No a bad shot in the bunch. Happy, happy.

Reactions: Creamer and Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
it really is nice to actually enjoy shooting again after nearly 4 years of seriously struggling. looking forward to deer hunting more than I have in a while. Probably won't see a friggin' deer now, lol.

fyi, that far target is a brand new R&W medium sneak deer. $228 tmd from eders.com the only place that offers replacement midsection for R&W targets is $99 + $40 shipping. I opted for a whole new target with free shipping instead instead

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
it really is nice to actually enjoy shooting again after nearly 4 years of seriously struggling. looking forward to deer hunting more than I have in a while. Probably won't see a friggin' deer now, lol.

fyi, that far target is a brand new R&W medium sneak deer. $228 tmd from eders.com the only place that offers replacement midsection for R&W targets is $99 + $40 shipping. I opted for a whole new target with free shipping instead instead
I feel exactly the same! Going to a light weight bow and really trying to sort out what has been my issues for the last several years has paid off in spades. I’ve not been this consistent for twenty years. And maybe even more importantly, I understand the process so much better I was even able to help Mason get back on the trad bus. He will probably kill one with his recurve this fall. He’s got the fire for it now. He even bailed out of work a little early so he could shoot tonight before it got dark... then we shot under the lights after dark. Lol.
Here is a pic I sent him tonight of the first four arrows I launched after supper. 25 yards. I’ll take it.
D4C89285-286F-4DE1-8170-712AFDA7C29B.jpeg

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Deer season hasn’t even been on my radar until about a week ago, let alone shooting a bow. We’ve been just to busy with other shooting sports. I finally picked up my bow a couple days ago and am getting back into my groove. First two shots of the day 20 on the ground and 18 from the tree.
289CF8DD-CBE9-431B-A932-2C816B340D71.jpeg
B8BABB60-11FB-445A-959D-626B7655D1ED.jpeg