Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cleveland Metroparks Boat Ramps $

Chass

The Hills
I'd be ok with a $10 "do it all" stamp that allows use of public stuff like ramps, public hunting areas, public piers, etc.. I work with several people who go bird watching all over the state on the weekends. They spend a whole day using places like Killdeer Plains, Magee Marsh, and Ottawa Wildlife Refuge without ever paying one red cent. They get damn near offended when Ive suggested they pay a yearly stamp fee to use these places for bird watching. Then i point out that they'll drop way more than that in gas, food, etc for one outing to enjoy what us hunters/fishermen mostly provide for them.
$10 stamps could pay for a lot. The couple of things you would want to worry about is making sure that this new fee didnt run up in a short amount of time or be used to balance a state budget instead of go back into what it came from which is a major concern when states control things like land in general, but that's another topic.

Big H

Medina
The difference between what you are all talking about is state or city government vs. Cleveland Metroparks. A prime example is the Cleveland Metroparks golf courses which used to be run by the City of Cleveland which became run down when the City was managing them. Numerous beautiful courses all being managed by the Metroparks now. Same scenario as Edgewater Park and I believe the other boat ramps that the Park System took over a number of years ago from the city. If you would have seen what the Edgewater Beach looked like a few years ago, you would not have wanted to go there, let alone take your kids there. There was a massive cleanup of the beach and surrounding area. The sand was all screened/cleaned etc... Long story short, it is a huge difference, and I don't mind one bit chipping in to help keep the ramps and surrounding areas maintained. 100% of the proceeds will go into lakefront improvement projects.

Purchasing Cleveland Metroparks Boat Launch Passes. *UPDATE: Due to extensive feedback we are working on a system to allow online puchase of annual tags this year, as well. Additional details will be forthcoming soon.* Boaters are now able to purchase the annual passes for the Cleveland Metroparks boat launches. Currently locations that are selling them are the E55 Marina and Lakefront Administration building. Wildwood Marina (opened April 28), Emerald Necklace Marina (opens May 12), Edgewater Pier (open weekends in May then daily after Memorial Day) and Edgewater Beach House (opened May 1) will also have passes for purchase once they open for the season respectively. Only boats with trailers will require a pass and info is as follows:

$25 - Seniors (60 and up) & Military Veterans - with valid identification

$30 - Residents of Cuyahoga County and Hinckley Township - with valid identification

$35 - non-residents

Annual pass is valid for all Metroparks owned boat ramps and are good until 12/31/19. Daily passes ($5) will be available once the onsite machines arrive and are installed, approximately mid to late May (you will require a credit cards for machine purchase). Enforcement will only begin after onsite machines are installed at Edgewater, Gordon Park (E72nd), Wildwood and Rocky River (Scenic Park) boat launches.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I don't mind paying extra to buy a pass . Cleveland metroparks ramps are nice . Cuyahoga county residents have been footing the bill for these parks . I don't mind paying since I live outside of the area and don't pay taxes . If I lived there , payed taxes , and still had to buy a pass I'd be sour tho .

There's lots of people who use these park facilities who don't pay a dime in taxes to maintain and operate these places tho .

I ordered my pass a month ago and haven't used it yet . But plan to this weekend most likely.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
In your scenario I don’t mind paying either. But, if it’s a state or federal ramp, that’s where I have an issue since money is allocated for those upkeeps from taxes collected on the goods that we buy. Licenses we purchase. Boat owners pay twice if they fish. Fishing license and boat registration as well as plates for the trailer for hauling it around.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I totally agree . I don't think you should pay to use state or federal boat ramps .
Over the years I've payed plenty tho for private , city , county , or park ramps .

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I totally agree . I don't think you should pay to use state or federal boat ramps .
Over the years I've payed plenty tho for private , city , county , or park ramps .
Same here, one city ramp we use on the river will be charging a fee here in the next few years as well....

Chass

The Hills
In your scenario I don’t mind paying either. But, if it’s a state or federal ramp, that’s where I have an issue since money is allocated for those upkeeps from taxes collected on the goods that we buy. Licenses we purchase. Boat owners pay twice if they fish. Fishing license and boat registration as well as plates for the trailer for hauling it around.
Are the fishing funds different from hunting? From what I've read and been told the funds from hunting goods are sent from the Feds to the state and can only be used on land that the state controls. So I would think that would eliminate all fed lands from receiving any benefit from those funds.