Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Choke tubes

jasontice10

WV
Anyone shoot a weatherby SA-08 for turkey? Looking to use mine this year and on the hunt for a turkey choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasontice10

WV
I patterned it. Pretty confident to 30 but falls off pretty good at 40, still decent but any further I’m not confident In it

Fletch

Supporting Member
Have you tried different brands of ammo and shot size??? My go to turkey load would be Winchester Longbeard XR in number 5 shot... All guns have a favorite brand of ammo...

jasontice10

WV
Have you tried different brands of ammo and shot size??? My go to turkey load would be Winchester Longbeard XR in number 5 shot... All guns have a favorite brand of ammo...

Only tried 2 so far. This will be my first year hunting turkey.

Aftermarket choke tubes are the way to go, for tight patterns beyond 40 yards. (y)
Do some research on your shotgun and whatever brand of choke tube, to see what everyone else is getting. AND remember.... Paper doesn't lie! Pattern everything to know what your choke and ammo combination is doing, at the yardages you're hunting. Which it sounds like that's what you're doing. :cool: Sometimes you can find a video on YouTube of the shotgun and choke tube that you're using, which can be helpful.

A few choke tube brands to consider: Patternmaster Code Black Turkey, Indian Creek Blackdiamond Strike, H.S. Strut Undertaker, Carlson Longbeard XR, and the very affordable Redhead (Bass Pro brand) for $40...the same model in the Cabelas BlackMaxx (Both of these choke tubes are made by Shane Carlson of Carlson Choke Tubes ;))
I just ordered one of the BlackMaxx choke tubes and it should be here within the next couple of days. I'll let you know how it patterns. (y)

I've read a lot about the very expensive TSS #9 shot, that produces excellent patterns out to 60 and 80 yards. It's not like you're going to be shooting a lot of them, so the cost can be justified. Plus, they'll perform better than 3 1/2" ammo, in their 2 3/4" ammo. Something to consider. :unsure: Personally, I will NOT shoot anything larger than 3" ammo. It's not necessary and I'm not taking the pounding. o_O
Bowhunter57