Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

chew, snuff, chaw, dip, etc

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Phil, I forgot to ask if you ruled out herpes. I know you were in Vegas recently. Glad the doctor got ya squared away buddy.

Seriously though, I have heard from relatives that it's not a great time. Hope your symptoms clear up soon.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So the shingles blisters in my mouth are healing. Doctor said mouth sores heal quickly due to amount of blood flow. Appetite never left, but now I'm able to eat a little easier. Aaaaannndd. . . Here come the chew cravings. I need to focus and do my best to beat the chew cravings. Kinda hard when you really enjoy a nice chew. I don't "want" to quit chewing. I just know this is my best opportunity.

On an overall health note, I have also cold turkeyed all caffeine. Haven't drank anything but water in 4 days. That is unlike me. I don't drink a ton of water. Could be an interesting turn of health events.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Talking to the wife while she was soaking in the tub. Told her I needed to leave. Getting fidgety and claustrophobic in the bathroom. Needed a chew. She goes on a pitch about how I need to quit now since I've made it this far. (I may not have mentioned to her I was quitting. Why get her hopes up?)

So naturally, as a guy. . . I suggest she helps. Everytime I crave a chew we have sex instead. She said "okay. Sounds like a plan." Of course my next line is "I could really use a chew right now." To which she replies "I ain't having sex with you when you have that shingles shit on your face! I'm not getting shingles!"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Talking to the wife while she was soaking in the tub. Told her I needed to leave. Getting fidgety and claustrophobic in the bathroom. Needed a chew. She goes on a pitch about how I need to quit now since I've made it this far. (I may not have mentioned to her I was quitting. Why get her hopes up?)

So naturally, as a guy. . . I suggest she helps. Everytime I crave a chew we have sex instead. She said "okay. Sounds like a plan." Of course my next line is "I could really use a chew right now." To which she replies "I ain't having sex with you when you have that shingles shit on your face! I'm not getting shingles!"

I am not a monster!

70b09c0f227a0e8eb2c4f9503eb41fd6.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Probably should have tossed the can sitting on my dresser. I was like a caged animal tonight. Enjoying a chew right now. Tommorrow I am back on the straight and narrow.

Reactions: Big_Holla

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nobody likes a quitter. I'm okay with it though. Nobody likes me anyway. Probably shouldn't have had that chew last night. Making it tougher today. Might pick up some nicotine gum to bide the urges.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hang in there Philbert, tomorrow's a new day.

Thanks Nate. I have had 3 cups of coffee with caffeine in the last three days and a chew each evening the last three evenings to wind down. Getting thru the majority of a day is a pretty massive step for me. I'm about there. Part of me just wants to finish this can because I'm a cheapskate. The other part does truly enjoy it. The other part is like "just throw it away you dumbass or you'll be making excuses to chew other times as well!"

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It’s not easy buddy, I KNOW!!!! Kicking nicotine is tough but hang in there and keep doing your best. After the first month I don’t think I ever thought about it much beyond that. Good luck👍🏻

Jamie

Ohio
everybody is different, Phil. I could not have quit cold turkey. I would have caved from the agony of withdrawal. I cut myself off incrementally and kept my mouth busy with sunflower seeds while I worked. mowing, painting, both boring as fuck after you do it long enough and are accustomed to chewing all day long to amuse yourself. just three a day for a week or so, then two a day, then one a day for a couple of weeks until I reached the end of my last can. when it was empty, I never bought more. I sometimes rack a discaprine, but I never cheated on my program. I wanted to quit, but it was still a struggle for the first few weeks. after a month or so, I stopped thinking about it. my five year anni is on Wednesday. smartest thing I ever did. besides divorcing my ex-wife, that is.