Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CGM Foot Loops....Amazing!

I tried out the JRB Ascender Hitch on my rappel line for climbing and rappelling, this morning and it worked great. (y) 💯
I ended up shortening the bottom loops and redressing the hitch, so it wasn't as long. I liked how well it would bite the rope and hold me in place....and then it only took 2 fingers to release it to rappel. :cool:
The rope is 9mm Oplux and the hitch is made with 6mm climbing rated rope.
JRB Ascender Hitch.jpg

If you're interested. 🤔 This is how the hitch is tied.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I have a 5 pack set of those Wild Edge steps, but only use 1 of them on the backside of my platform. It makes it easier to transition all the way around the tree. Thing is these Wild Edge steps are nearly a pound each. I can't imagine using an entire set of them to climb a tree, but I've seen guys doing it. :rolleyes:
However, now that I have the wider Mission platform, it's easy enough to push off of the back or side of it to get shots on the other side of the tree....if needed. (y)
As for the age thing, I'm with you and turning 65 next month I'm doing "ok", but I'm feeling it and don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep going. 🤔 I'll go until I can't, then I'll slow down a bit....maybe. :)
I will take the 4 extra pounds of simplicity over the effort and time it takes to do your setup. Not that either is wrong. It’s what your comfortable with. I’m not sure my setup is for me at the moment 😂. But the extra things you have to and carry I’d say the weight difference is negligible between the two. I’m used to carrying 23# stand plus another 15-20 pound pack…..still do it. I’m not trying to be a purest w a 7# setup either. I want options which the saddle will give me, lighter setup and a practical and comfortable to me way to climb. Your extra stuff to one stick or scaling a tree and repelling doesn’t seam a good trade off for me. Like I’ve said, everyone has a different way and none is wrong unless you don’t like it.
I enjoy learning what others do and maybe give me another thing I deem something I’d want to do or not. Thanks for the thread.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
@triple_duece
I'll readily admit, there's a fair amount of fiddle farting around with "one sticking". :rolleyes:
What I like most about it is the ability to climb any tree within a reasonable diameter, limbs or no limbs. In the last couple of years, I've hunted in some new areas that didn't allow for the use of my Summit Viper. Most of these areas were too far to pack in my Lone Wolf Alpha and Muddy Pro climbing sticks, which outweigh anything else I own. 👎🚫

I'm in total agreement with you, on the simplicity of any system of hunting. 💯 This year alone, I've went through a lot of "stuff", trying to find an easier or simpler way to climb trees, while using this tree saddle. 🤔 It's been an education, fun and an experience that I've enjoyed. :cool:
All of it, like you said, is just another tool in our arsenal for hunting. :)