Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CGM Foot Loops....Amazing!

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I purchased a 5 pack of the Wild Edge steps and use 1 or 2 on the off-sides of my platform. This allows me to push off or stand on them as I need to for taking a shot around the tree. (y) As far as using them for a climbing system, they're entirely too heavy in larger quantities. :rolleyes:
Like you, I really like the mobility of saddle hunting. 💯
I run with five steps using the Gripr. I also use the last two steps as my platform for short hunts. For all-day hunts, I use a platform. One of these days I might man up and use the 2TC system! Right now I am being lazy! :)

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Screenshot_20220724-091759_Instagram.jpg

As much as I like this 2TC climbing method, I must admit I've struggled with getting it to work smoothly and not spend 20 minutes climbing a tree. 🤔

I tried the "one stick" method, this past Spring and had trouble getting it to work for me, so I gave up. :rolleyes:
Liking the rappel part, I tried the 2TC method and liked it, but struggled to get actual climbing part to work smoothly. Meanwhile, I learned a lot of hitches, knots and other device accessories like micro pulleys, and various ways to make a particular hitch work without any devices. All I can say is that I gave it a shot and learned a few things along the way. :)

This morning, I tried using just 1 of my Muddy Pro sticks, in an attempt to give the "one stick" method another go. I don't know what I was doing different from what I was doing this past Spring, but I had no problems climbing with this method. 💯 I'm going to add a cable aider to the bottom of one of this stick and I should be good to go! :cool: I just placed an order for one, from Eastern Woods Outdoors and it should be here in a few days.

It pays to keep trying different methods, until you find one that works for you. (y)💯
Not a moment too soon, either, with the season opening this coming weekend. (Hardin, Wyandot and Marion only)

Reactions: Big_Holla
Couldn't wait for the cable aider, so I made one out of one of my climbing ropes. Also, added a pull-up handle to the top of the stick. This is one of the original Muddy Pro climbing sticks with 3 fixed steps and 32" long. It packs nice too, on my military molle pack with my TrophyRidge Mission platform inside. (y)
I tried it out this morning and I'm good to go! :cool:

I had some spectators, while was in the tree. 🦃
Muddy Pro 2.jpg

Muddy Pro 3.jpg

Mission 3.jpg

Turkeys 1.jpg

Turkeys 2.jpg

Neither the 2TC or the "one stick" climbing methods are quick, but only about 5 to 8 minutes slower than my Summit Viper climbing stand. 🤔
However, rappelling out is another story. I can be on the ground in 10 or 15 seconds. (y)💯
Once you rappel down is there a way to get your rappel rope down so you don't have to climb back up to take it off? Not sure I understand the reason for quick descent and leaving your rope behind unless you gotta poop.

Once you rappel down is there a way to get your rappel rope down so you don't have to climb back up to take it off? Not sure I understand the reason for quick descent and leaving your rope behind unless you gotta poop.
You attach a section of dyna-glide string with a carabiner to use as a pull down line. It's very important to not forget to untie any gear tie that you may have on the tether line, before rappelling. Otherwise, you'll be climbing back up to untie it. :rolleyes:
At 9:00 minute into this video, he explains the dyna-glide string.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jesus buhjeebus. I’m trying so hard to be open minded about this. But I couldn’t even finish that video. Knee pads and carabiners and 80 feet of rope and this and that and the other… clip this behind that knot… don’t forget the dynaglide…

That’s a big Nah from me, fam.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I’d rather carry 4.5 extra pounds plus that that stand you just added 3 more pounds. Comfy stand but way over designed. I went to a tethrd with size 13 boots with no issues

Jesus buhjeebus. I’m trying so hard to be open minded about this. But I couldn’t even finish that video. Knee pads and carabiners and 80 feet of rope and this and that and the other… clip this behind that knot… don’t forget the dynaglide…

That’s a big Nah from me, fam.
I admit, it's a lot to take in, at first. Then there's the learning curve of all the knots, hitches and what goes where. :)
I'm on the comfort side of this tree saddle business. 💯 So, I carry more than the average saddle hunter. I've seen guys carrying rigs that weighed less than 8 lbs., but I ain't sitting out there and being uncomfortable. :rolleyes:

The best way to look at any hunting/climbing setup is, it's just another tool in your arsenal for hunting and how you prefer to hunt. :cool: There's no right or wrong way about it.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Yeah I don’t know about all that. Couple reasons. First I’ve never tried it. Second is what if there’s limbs, third is I’m fat and older and cramp easy in the cold. Fourth my son uses triangles steps w an aider and can get 26’ easy at the sound of 4 pounds….that’s for steps.
FBF8979F-D889-44A5-B923-D198813E1429.png

Attachments

• 6B88B03C-151E-499A-9E8E-E22E51322159.png
    6B88B03C-151E-499A-9E8E-E22E51322159.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 62
Yeah I don’t know about all that. Couple reasons. First I’ve never tried it. Second is what if there’s limbs, third is I’m fat and older and cramp easy in the cold. Fourth my son uses triangles steps w an aider and can get 26’ easy at the sound of 4 pounds….that’s for steps.
I have a 5 pack set of those Wild Edge steps, but only use 1 of them on the backside of my platform. It makes it easier to transition all the way around the tree. Thing is these Wild Edge steps are nearly a pound each. I can't imagine using an entire set of them to climb a tree, but I've seen guys doing it. :rolleyes:
However, now that I have the wider Mission platform, it's easy enough to push off of the back or side of it to get shots on the other side of the tree....if needed. (y)
As for the age thing, I'm with you and turning 65 next month I'm doing "ok", but I'm feeling it and don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep going. 🤔 I'll go until I can't, then I'll slow down a bit....maybe. :)

Reactions: triple_duece