Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Car Seats for kids

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Since when do car seats have a shelf life? Apparently a car seat is only good for a few years then it’s no longer any good?

Why aren’t seatbelts the same way if you’re going that route?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Since when do car seats have a shelf life? Apparently a car seat is only good for a few years then it’s no longer any good?

Why aren’t seatbelts the same way if you’re going that route?
I bet someone sued a car seat manufacturer when their kid was hurt in a 20 year old car seat.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I bet someone sued a car seat manufacturer when their kid was hurt in a 20 year old car seat.
Seems like it’s a 6-10 year service life. At least it’ll last a few kids as long as you don’t really stretch them out 😂
Seatbelts should probably have one as well 😂😂😂

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
3 reasons:

1. Materials: no brainer here, most are made out of plastic. This material degrades over time and any large force applied alters its strength.

2. New designs: crash test safety is ever evolving due to new discoveries, in both real life crashes and in the crash lab.

3. Changing Standards/Laws: Crash test safety is ever evolving. So much is discovered every year, its like a mad scientist race and the benefits from the 50's are hard to comprehend. Colonel Stapp did some crazy things to his body after realizing that his pilots were getting more injuries in car crashes than in military aircraft.

Cool video, and this was car technology 12yrs ago:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
3 reasons:

1. Materials: no brainer here, most are made out of plastic. This material degrades over time and any large force applied alters its strength.

2. New designs: crash test safety is ever evolving due to new discoveries, in both real life crashes and in the crash lab.

3. Changing Standards/Laws: Crash test safety is ever evolving. So much is discovered every year, its like a mad scientist race and the benefits from the 50's are hard to comprehend. Colonel Stapp did some crazy things to his body after realizing that his pilots were getting more injuries in car crashes than in military aircraft.

Cool video, and this was car technology 12yrs ago:
Almost sacrilegious too waste a 59 Chevy like that!!!!

I get it, it’s all about the safety of the kids. But when you see kids riding school busses with no belts. 20+ year old cars running around with the original seatbelts. It makes you go hmmmm......

Coming from an aircraft background, our belts had a time line for checking them and or swapping them out.

Reactions: 5Cent

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The laws just keep getting crazier too. I remember reading a couple years ago that it's recommended that kids stay rear facing until the meet the max weight limit for the car seat. You know because it's safer. Well shit its safer for adults to sir rear facing also but how are you going to fit a 2 year old rear facing. He supposed to have his kees up around his head?

• Haha
Reactions: 5Cent and "J"