Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Burr Oak

themedic

OHIO
This past week-end my wife and I wanted to do something fun but with out spending a lot of cash. My wife is a school teacher and this was her first week-end off. So kind of on a whim, we packed up the truck and boat and headed off to Burr Oak Sate Park.

When I attended Hocking college in Nelsonville back in 2002, I dated a girl from McConellsvile and sometimes drove past this lake but had never actually been there. So I knew where it was a heard it was a nice place.

Anyways, this post isn't about how many fish I caught, cause I never caught a thing. Its more just a heads up that this lake is super super nice. The high "mountains" around the lake remind me of a miniature Dale Hollow. The new updated lodge, that I heard they invested a lot of money in is realy nice. Food was good and very affordable. It has drive up docks and yes they serve beer.

We ened up camping at a Wayne National Forest campsite. This was just up from dock #4. It was a FREE primitive campsite and if not for the rain (that came in at dusk) it would have been a perfect evening.

Here is the info on Burr Oak Lake and State Park: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/burroak/tabid/719/Default.aspx
Sleeping in the cab of the truck:

View from the lodge:
Few pictures out on the lake:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's been 30 some odd years since I've been to burr oak. I hear its really nice. Glad you had a great getaway!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
looks like we will be headed down there tomorrow. want to look around and see about getting a camping trip together. Any suggestions on a place to eat down there.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well, we made it down there. nice place, But at 2 1/2 hours, it might be a little too far out of the way for a whole family trip. The missus and i might consider one of the cabins for a second honeymoon in a couple years.

I might also be interested in a hunting weekend there as well.

themedic

OHIO
Well, we made it down there. nice place, But at 2 1/2 hours, it might be a little too far out of the way for a whole family trip. The missus and i might consider one of the cabins for a second honeymoon in a couple years.

I might also be interested in a hunting weekend there as well.

Damn! I was there yesterday as well. My wife and I, and another couple went and camped and stayed for the weekend. 2 1/2 is a long haul but the lake is very nice. We fished and swam from Sat around 5pm till Sunday around 4 when we docked and headed for home. Did ya see a small 15' john boat with with 4 people....including two really pregnant chicks?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
looks like we will be headed down there tomorrow. want to look around and see about getting a camping trip together. Any suggestions on a place to eat down there.

The pizza place in Glouster is pretty good. It's a hole in the wall... but it's good. lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Glouster itself is a hole on the wall! Talk about a place where time stands still. That's as God forsaken, middle of nowhere Ohio as it gets!!!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Did ya see a small 15' john boat with with 4 people....including two really pregnant chicks?

Doesnt ring a bell, but then again, There were a lot of boats on the water. lol.

Glouster itself is a hole on the wall! Talk about a place where time stands still. That's as God forsaken, middle of nowhere Ohio as it gets!!!

Yeah, its an ... "interesting" place. ended up going to nelsonville for a bite. The biggest thing for a flatlander like myself was the roads. Does antone down that way know how to make a straght road? definitely got a chance to see how the G6 handles a road course. lol.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Ha! You ain't shittin! One time we were down there and I was waiting in the truck while my cousin went inside to pick up a pizza. These homely lookin kids were riding around on bikes attempting to do tricks. I asked one of them, "What do you guys do for fun around here?" He replied, "We ride bikes," and proceeded to ride in circles standing up on the pedals, thrusting his pelvis toward the handlebars like he was humping the air! lmao LMFAO! Another time while sitting in the same parking lot I watched a teenager come sprinting around the corner of a building and down the street as fast as he could. A solid 20 or 30 seconds later, this fat ass Glouster police officer came running around the same building, "hot" on the trail. lol