Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buddy heater

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
A question for those of you running them with a 20# tank and the hose attachment. I know the cold weather that I'd most likely want the buddy heater for impacts the ability of me to use a tank like that on a grill; they barely put out enough gas to work the grill effectively. If I put a tank out in a blind it'll get just as cold or colder, how does that impact getting the buddy heater lit or heat output?

If you run it to a Buddy you will want to use the Buddy brand hose as any other can degrade and plug up your heater over time. You can get away with using any brand hose if you install an inline filter though. It’s recommended to keep the tank outside your blind just in case you develop any kind of leak. We’ve used ours in sub zero temps without issues.

Biggest thing is you may need to hold down the pilot longer to get all the air out of the line before turning to On.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So after this weekend's youth season with chilly temps (real feel was 5°

The little buddy (where the 1lb propane tank is part of the stand) does an okay job to take the edge off but I could still see my breath in the blind the whole time.

The buddy (1 propane tank on the right side) does a MUCH better job even though it's low setting isn't that many extra BTUs over the other one. On high wow it puts out heat. Also can be plumbed into a 20lb tank as described above.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks guys.... Ill either add it to my Xmas list or get it after Xmas...

The heaters that mount to the top of the 1 lb. tanks put out about the same amount of heat however they are generally up too high to feel the same warmth. I've got a couple old one's I would lay on their side and get great results. I found a catalytic style propane heater from Coleman years ago that tipped everything on it's side and points the heat directly at you. That one works best for small and portable. They also make adapters that mount directly to the top of a 20 lb tank for those kinds but unless you can close the blind off well the heat is up high and out the windows.

1669037562354.png

Bigcountry40

screw heaters make em suffer in the cold, prepare em for the war with Russia! - In all seriousness I bought an adapter hose for my propane heater from menards and have never had an issue.

Reactions: bigten05

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The heaters that mount to the top of the 1 lb. tanks put out about the same amount of heat however they are generally up too high to feel the same warmth. I've got a couple old one's I would lay on their side and get great results. I found a catalytic style propane heater from Coleman years ago that tipped everything on it's side and points the heat directly at you. That one works best for small and portable. They also make adapters that mount directly to the top of a 20 lb tank for those kinds but unless you can close the blind off well the heat is up high and out the windows.

View attachment 166631
I was wondering if the height of the one with the tank in the stand didn't feel as warm because of the height factor. Thanks for confirming my guess.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Fletch

Supporting Member
Since I mostly hunt out of hang ons, I wonder if these are even feasible...

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Since I mostly hunt out of hang ons, I wonder if these are even feasible...
I wouldn’t and probably wouldn’t do you much good. But as for ground blinds or enclosed towers they are the shit. I finally pulled the trigger on a setup for a 20# tank. Total cost was $45 bones w Teflon tape. Make sure you have the right fittings for the setup. I bought the 5’ hose, tank connector and fitting for heater. No more turning off and on trying to save a $4 1 pound bottle.
EA3E0668-B9A1-42F4-9B84-6125E665E4AA.jpeg

make sure you buy the Mr Buddy hose. I didn’t buy a filter and just barely crack the bottle. I did Teflon tape all the fittings. Best it you test it outside w soap and water before putting it in an enclosed area. I didn’t 😂.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I seen on Instagram where someone left there daughter in a blind with one of those heaters and came back and she was dead from carbon monoxide poisoning so make sure to crack a window if your in a sealed blind.
Probably wasn’t a mr buddy heater. Like any gas heater there is potential for CO. The buddy heaters have sensors that will detect if it’s turned over, CO or O2 has dropped and turn off. Anything is possible but CO takes hours to accumulate in your body and you will start getting headaches, then sickness to finally death. Something else went wrong but we all should be vary careful w the heaters or anything else. Like I’ve seen on a meme, in my day the owners manual to a vehicle gave instructions to set the timing and point gap, now it tells you not to drink the battery acid.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Think your best bet for that are some electric base layers and vest I know I'll be buying a set of the heated baselayers.
I’m hearing very good things about these heated jackets. Do some research as many are coming out for sale now. My suggestion would be wait because they will only get better.

Reactions: Fletch

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Now you post it 😂. I know the buddy brand you don’t have to run a filter, not sure about the one you posted. The heaters can be finicky. I couldn’t wait for one to come in so I bought the pieces to make it work.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Now you post it 😂. I know the buddy brand you don’t have to run a filter, not sure about the one you posted. The heaters can be finicky. I couldn’t wait for one to come in so I bought the pieces to make it work.
Ha! Sorry man. I actually have a Buddy brand 5 or 6-footer that I've been using for several years now. No issues so far. Makes it really nice heating my ice shanty, having plenty of space for a 20# tank inside the tub of the shanty. I've played the game of refilling the 1# bottles too. It's a good way to save money, but those little bottles are a pain to store somewhere and hassle with.

Reactions: triple_duece