Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster and Jr. Hunting Tails.....

Buckmaster

Portage
Weekend #3

Deer Camp Attendees: Ben, Norm, Ron, Scott, Mike, & Bob

We all saw does within range and we all had shots. Everyone passed this weekend except Ron.

He shot a doe Saturday just before dark out of the Taj Mahal stand.

It was a broadside shot at 20 yard with a complete pass thru from a 3 blade Rage. He hit one lung and clipped the other.

He figured she went about 60 yards and piled up. Since it was getting dark I instructed Ron to return to camp so we can begin dinner and reload for a tracking job.

After venison stroganoff I grabbed my new flashlights and my tracking dog Jaden.

A half hour track and 175 yards later we found Ron's big doe on a flawless track job by Jaden. My new flashlights proved beyond expectation too. We discovered the doe was almost toothless. An old girl.

Attachments

• Jaden Doe.jpg
    Jaden Doe.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Rons Doe.jpg
    Rons Doe.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 308

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's a random picture from our "Tower Stand" overlooking brassicas.

Yes, our $ .25 cent garage sale "deer view mirror" works great.

Attachments

• Tower Pano.jpg
    Tower Pano.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 267

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounded like a great weekend again Ben! Congrats to Ron on the big doe and great shot!

That's a nice 6x4! Good luck with him!

Buckmaster

Portage
Brendan and I are meeting Grandpa at our cabin this afternoon.
I just ordered another deer tag for Brendan and the camcorder is charged.
Grandpa's been at camp for a week now and has been seeing deer at the Taj Mahal stand every night after 6pm.
The plan is to sit Brendan and Grandpa together (their first hunt together) tonight meanwhile I'll head across the road to the club grounds to big buck hunt.
Those 6pm does at the Taj Mahal will not be safe tonight.

Buckmaster

Portage
Boy and grandpa had 2 bucks in front of them last night for 30 minutes at 3-25 yards. Wrong flavor. We slept in this morning for clear sky's and big moon. Should have went out because the camera revealed a deer party under the stand at 8:30-10:30 am. Our place is normally a waste of time in the mornings. Boy and I will be out tonight. His finger's getting itchy as he said button bucks are now in consideration now.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like several here earlier hit the nail on the head with their predictions! Congrats to you both in getting it done! Did you capture it all on tape Ben?

Buckmaster

Portage
Weekend #4

Camp Attendees: Norm & Joyce (my parents), Ben, Brendan, Sean, Mike

Brendan and I arrived by 3pm Friday only to realize I left my clothes, CPAP machine, toiletries, and medication at home.

I leave Brendan with my parents and venture back North to retrieve my stuff. Self Irritated. :tantrum:

On Friday evening my father and Brendan sit in the Taj Mahal stand.
They only see a spike and a button buck. Brendan decides to pass on the opportunity on a chip shot on the button buck in hopes for his doe.
At dark, they had to throw apples at the button buck to scare him off so they could exit the stand.

I arrive back to camp Friday night to hear their stories.

Mike saw nothing, Sean saw a button buck in the Tower plot. No shots fired.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
Saturday Morning:

My parents roll home, Brendan and I roll over. Mike and Sean go hunting.

They got the morning skunk.

Before lunch I went to check the cameras and found there was a large deer party at the Taj Mahal stand Saturday morning from 8:30-10:30....guess we should have went hunting.