Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster and Jr. Hunting Tails.....

Buckmaster

Portage
We spend the preseason creating and tending to our food plots.

We also finished off our elevated ground blind we call the "Taj Mahal".

We never had much time to focus on trail cameras this year.

Attachments

• Turnip Plot 2016.jpg
    Turnip Plot 2016.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Taj Final.jpg
    Taj Final.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 268

Buckmaster

Portage
Weekend One....

We were blessed with Ron, Dan, and Kevin in Camp.

It was Dan's wish to put Kevin (a newbie hunter) on deer. It was my pleasure in introducing Kevin to some deer and offering Kevin the opportunity toward success.

An hour later Dan had his doe TOO.

Attachments

• Dan Doe 2016.jpg
    Dan Doe 2016.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Kevin Doe.jpg
    Kevin Doe.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 249

Buckmaster

Portage
Weekend Two:

"The Hunt of the Lifetime"

My blessings began in 2003 when I was honored to begin hunting with kids. Melana, my 3 year old niece (Jesse would understand this now as his K is also 3), was in camp attendance that weekend and I had shot a doe from our Tower stand. After shooting the doe I proceeded back to Camp to get Melana to help me track it. After a 100 yard blood trail we found the doe. She was ecstatic as she had never seen a deer that up close and personal before. She kissed it and pet it. We thanked God for providing us such fine animals. That was the spark that lite the flame. I remember my sister was mad at me because I allowed Melana's pink pants to get some blood on them as we walked through weeds tracking the doe. Looking back....the small things in Life.

Years, Months, and Days go by listening of her obsession with deer. That was her favorite animal. Our family continued to remind her: "Someday you will go hunting."

She practiced and had a deep desire to hunt but most of all....she spoke, "the language".

Fast forward to the Winter2008 and Spring of 2009. Melana was 8 now and ready to hunt.

Attachments

• Melana-01-Down-on-the-farm-006.jpg
    Melana-01-Down-on-the-farm-006.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 277

Buckmaster

Portage
The Spring of 2009..... Melana was diagnosed with a diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG) which is a tumor located in the pons (middle) of the brain stem.

There is no cure.

Our forward Years with Melana were reduced to Months.

She continued to practice during the Spring of 2009 and she did make it out with me on her first turkey hunt in the Spring 2009 season.

Here she is all swollen faced from all the steroids she was on to reduce the tumor size in her brain.

Attachments

• Melana-02-Crossbow.jpg
    Melana-02-Crossbow.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
I've waited many years to take one of my kids hunting. My daughter is now 11. She's sat with me before in the stand but lost her willingness to hunt or shoot around the age of 8. She's a self imposed vegetarian so she doesn't like meat. She also loves animals and will not do them harm. I gave up asking her to hunt with me but always remind her she's free to come when she wants.

Thinking toward the future...I bet she someday marries a guy just like her Father (me). Let's hope so anyways.

Now my son, Brendan (now 8) on the other hand, is just gaining hunting interest. He's a sports freak and that's on his mind 24/7 so we are highly active in youth sports. We bought 2 new bows this year for us. A Ten Point Shadow and a Parker Challenger.

He's been practicing in our backyard shooting softball sized groups at 25 yards.

Since 2009 and Melana's passing I've yearned to hunt with a kid. I've borrowed a few kids over the years but this time its mine. Would 2016 be the Year?

Pass it On!

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 259
  • Parker.jpg
    Parker.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 295

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Ben! I remember reading this story a long time ago and re-read it again! Danged if it didn't open up the waterworks again! Thanks for sharing! Your dad did a GREAT JOB with that article! Bet she was one happy lil angel when that buck fell over!:smiley_clap:

Buckmaster

Portage
Following last weekend's hunt with Dan and Kevin...... and having some success with the deer reading my script.... I came home and told Brendan that the deer are dumb.

Brendan favored staying home and playing with his other cousin last weekend.

Brendan asked me over this past week...."Do you think the deer are still dumb?"

My reply, "Yes, they will be for a couple more weeks until they get smart."

Brendan replies, "I think I'll go hunting but I want to watch."

Our hunt was on!

Friday we met Ron and Scott at our cabin. Saturday morning we hunted.

Brendan and I sat in the same spot Dan had success the prior weekend. We simply watched 5 turkeys playing in the food plot Saturday morning. No morning deer movement.

Attachments

• Blind 4.jpg
    Blind 4.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Turnip Plot 2016.jpg
    Turnip Plot 2016.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 274

Buckmaster

Portage
Saturday around lunch the four of us met back at the cabin for lunch, to share notes, take naps, watch some football, relax, etc.

Scott went down and pulled the SD card at the Taj Mahal stand. The card revealed some daylight bucks on the 6pm move. A 135" 6x4 buck and what Scott says is a 22" wide 8 point (I saw 19")....however Scott said, "Nothing Ben would shoot".

...but Brendan could. Humm....

By 3 pm, Ron, Scott, and I had convinced Brendan he should hunt so we ordered him his deer tag online. He lacked some confidence about making a good shot at an animal (he doesn't like to set himself up for failure). I assured him otherwise.

The plan was to hunt from 5pm until dark. Brendan would be "The Hunter" and I, "The Watcher".

With one change of Brendan's heart....my deer hunting role has been forever changed. With 80+ kills in my life I'm ready to sit back, enjoy others succeed, and let the boy begin filling the family freezer.

At 5 pm we boarded the 4 wheeler and descended the hill. We met Scott about half way down the trail. He was on his way back to the cabin dragging his doe behind his 4 wheeler. The beginning of a successful evening.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 281

Buckmaster

Portage
At the Taj Mahal.

Discussing our game plan, expectations, possible outcomes, reminders, safety, and yes we asked for God's blessings and Melana's help during our hunt.

Melana and I often talk when I'm on stand. That's my time for reflection, introspection, and prayer.

Note: Boots removed for comfort and quietness.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
At 6:10 I see a small buck enter the plot from my left headed right.

He's making a bee line for tube feeder on the post (25 yards).

I say, "Brendan, a buck."

His reply, "Yeah, right."

Dad is always right :smiley_coolpeace:

At 6:12.......the buck stops to nibble on some apples we kindly placed out for him at 20 yards.
https://youtu.be/ePnXnSGaL1E

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 274