Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bthompson's Season of Project Turnaround

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Thank you all for the encouraging words...drove by the place last night to see a couple of does standing on the property, so they quickly came back...plus i woke up to rain this morning and cooler temps...i hope to sneak in a hunt this weekend or middle of the week next week...can't miss more than a partial day of work per week.

The walnut tree i'm in is pretty much leafless right now, so i'll have to add something to it on my next trip out

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I've always been on a budget...i have 2 treestands, one i bought and one wAs given to me...one is staying packed up with sticks for my metropark hunt and the other is set up at my best spot...and of course it is set up for a pre-vailing wind...which we haven't had yet since the season started...oh well its still early and its supposed to drop down in the very low 40's tomorrow morning (my birthday) with a perfect wind...fingers crossed for a G3 sighting!!

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Thank you all for the birthday wishes...Wife and I had a great time out without the kids! And I got to hunt in the morning!

I went out last night after work, got to the stand about 530pm, didn't bump anything on the way in, but, I didn't see anything either...pulled the cards on the cams and got some cool video of an 8pt really abusing a licking branch...I have to wait till this evening to get the video loaded up...He is not a target deer, but, this scrape is in a good shooting position.

Hours on stand: 4
Evening sits: 2
Morning sits: 1

Does seen: 3
Bucks seen: 1
Target buck seen:0

Shots taken: 1

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
That opening weekend was pretty warm, but not nearly as warm as it has been in years past...pretty cool summer and now fall is a little under average temps TOO! Despite all of that I have still been seeing deer from the stand on 2 out 3 hunts so far this season...my 3rd sit was my skunkaroo.

this morning, on my way to work. found one roadkill coyote on the road adjacent to my hunting property, then not 1/10th of a mile later, had a coyote run across the road right in front of me, heading toward the property I hunt...was not happy about that...I am going to see if the landowner can have his trapper come out there after I'm done hunting the place this year.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
image.jpg

Just waiting for these night pics to turn into day pics.

Saw a lot of new rubs though and a scrape is being worked over real hard, along with a few broken off licking branches!!!

Just a matter of time now!

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
10/23/14...

got to the stand at 3:30 yesterday...on my way in, I found a new scrape about 5 yds away from where I park, I will be parking somewhere else now because of it, plus there is a perfect spot to brush in my ground blind once these deer start moving in daylight.

I sat till 1/2 past sunset, then I changed the card in my scrape cam that I have set on video mode...I pulled my corn pile cam and moved it to the new scrape I found...pulled that card this morning (I mixed up cards last night and couldn't remember which one was clean and which one came from my scrape cam, lesson learned)and found the deer hitting the new scrape only a few hours after I left.

Oh and one more thing, I mentioned in my last post here about just waiting till the daylight movement switch gets turned on, well, I guess that happened yesterday morning...finally have a daytime pic of Mr. G3!!

WGI_0041.jpg

Anyone know how old this deer looks...I want to improve on aging deer and any help would be greatly appreciated.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Well, he's a 5x4...and recently i had a clean 10 show up at the scrape just to the right of where this pic was taken, he's even bigger than Mr.G3 here...I'd be happy with either one, if I get the opportunity, Clean 10 gets the arrow and Mr. G3 gets a chance to turn into a 10pt next year...but i'd be happy with either one as my first archery buck!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Farmer started cutting corn last night...prbly finish up today...and I have work meetings scheduled all day...can't seem to concentrate....i just sneezed, better go home sick in case its something serious, haha!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
11-8...hunted till noon, 3 does came in slightly downwind of me stopped at 50yds staring toward me the whole time...they ate all my apples from the day before and now they don't like my smell...so they turned around and scampered back where they came from....I took that set down and moved it to the metropark property I have for 3 weeks.

11-9...hunted the metropark property, left the house at 1, got my stand set up around 230, didn't see a single deer till I started walking out, then one came running up the trail that is cut from the parking spot back to the hardwoods area I set up in. Corn is still up on the north and west side of this property and I have now been busted 2x by these 3 does...that momma is going to whacked after I put my new set up on the east side of their trial so I won't get winded again.

the parks cut a nice trail from the parking spot leading back to the only open spot on the property...walked back farther TOO find all kinds of buck sign, in the thick nasty shit that I have to find a way to get back into with a stand...I might have to go back to the creek near the cut corn field on the other side of the properyt...good news is, it wasn't really that far of a walk to get back to the creek, the problem is its still thick as hell and I couldn't really find a good path to get back and scout more...but I will!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
went out at 130 and decided to bring the ground blind with me and set it up on the other side of the property. Got set up around 2 and at 238pm i saw my first deer. A huge, nothing but antlers kind of deer! First mature buck i've seen on the hoof at this place. He basically skirted around down wind of my blind but then crossed the tree line on the property and ended up stopping out in the open field...so I grunted at him and his head snaps my direction, then we did it again...he went into the woods up ahead and i never saw him again. It was great just to have an encounter with a deer like that. I didn't recognize this deer from what I was able to see of him so maybe he's new. I don't know, but I hope he shows up again in the morning!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Heck yeah Ben!!! That'll get your blood flowing that's for sure!!! That's what gets us to roll out of the sack and walk to our sets in the predawn darkness when a heavy frost is underfoot!
Keep on gettin after it man! Good luck buddy!