Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brush Piles For Bunnies

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Been building brush piles for bunnies and critters for about 4 years now. When a large tree or tangle goes down, I utilize it into cover. I start with the biggest pieces for bases.
20220822_144311.jpg

Then fill it all in with the fluffier stuff. After it gets fairly thick and tall, I put more big stuff on top to mash it and hold it in place.
20220822_155744.jpg

20220822_155727.jpg

Two of my finished products today.
I have built 15-16 brush piles and our rabbit numbers are out of sight. Not taking all the credit, but the piles can't hurt any either.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great stuff, Rick! I too try to build a bunny brush pile any time I’m given a chance. Like any other habitat improvement, it’s a really good feeling when you see the critters utilize it!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I've done it for years too. (But half the reason was it was easier to throw it in a pile than to haul it away or burn it.)
I can't say it made a big difference but, we do what we can... ;)

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
My dad had his 6ish acres of hard woods (mostly mature oaks and maples) timbered close to 10 years ago. Our rabbit numbers at the time were near nonexistent due to feral cats and lack of habitat. After taking care of both said above things, the rabbit numbers are unbelievable. Tons of briars, and tree tops left over are prime for em back there. Also had a family of red foxes move in a few years ago as well like @Sgt Fury had. Nice work.