Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock's deer hunts '12-'13

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I slipped in to check the camera this morning. The batteries must be getting a little sluggish as we only got one picture of the bucks that were in last night. After looking at the pics we've gotten over the last couple of days, I am certain the shed buck that was in was in fact the good 7 point - DANG! It looks to me that the little 5 point is probably still carrying, so we are going back in tonight in hopes that he will come in or maybe the decent 8...just something with a little horn will work. We are running out of time, but more importantly the deer are running out of horns! We found a doe in a neighboring corn field that was poached very recently. Mason just couldn't understand why anyone would shoot one and leave it lay, and he said "I'm glad I didn't shoot one last night, too many idiots in the world out shooting them". Having said that, I'm sure he'll shoot something tonight if given the chance again. :)

Here is the only pic on the cam from yesterday's events. And BTW, the pic is misleading. The deer with the spike/broken rack is WAY bigger than the shed buck. Though I am certain the shed buck is the nice 7 and had a decent rack, he looks really young in person and will probably be an absolute stud next season!

Attachments

• WGI_0008.jpg
    WGI_0008.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 302

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here is a pic of our "path" into the groundblind. We are almost underground the entire way in. I love this set up! The only thing between us and the deer last night was this big ditch, but it's enough of a barrier to keep them from coming in from behind us.
Here is the doe we found frshly shot this morning too.

Attachments

• IMG-20130121-00634.jpg
    IMG-20130121-00634.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG-20130121-00636.jpg
    IMG-20130121-00636.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 271

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hate to see the poaching TOO Brock!

That is a sweet set up man. Hard to beat that access! Good luck tonight!!! Tell Mason to get 'r done!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks, Jesse. We are both so freaking excited to go! We've waited on this weather all year, it should be a good night in the blind if we can keep from freezing out. I really hope a big one that I don't know about decides to make an appearance, but the little 5 point would fill the bill just fine. :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome stuff Brock! Love your access route! I take those routes anytime one is present! Those sheds might not be too far away from your corn pile TOO. After your hunting is over it might be worth your while to nose around there alittle. Good luck tonight on your hunt tonight with Mason.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great show of discipline on Mason's part. Best of luck to him. Hate seeing them poached. Ridiculous.