Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock's deer hunts '12-'13

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was somewhat surprised to see them so quickly, with moderate temps. I'm sure there are larger around, but rest assured Mason would shoot any of them. Lil squirt said he wanted to shoot the little half rack that has been hanging with the 7 and the 10pt... "They taste better"... are you kidding me? He's already killed enough "tasty ones"! :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was somewhat surprised to see them so quickly, with moderate temps. I'm sure there are larger around, but rest assured Mason would shoot any of them. Lil squirt said he wanted to shoot the little half rack that has been hanging with the 7 and the 10pt... "They taste better"... are you kidding me? He's already killed enough "tasty ones"! :)

Rotflmao!!! Tell him its time for some big rack soup!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After running snares in Fayette this morning, I went over to Ross Co and put out more corn and set up a blind. I hope it doesn't bother the deer for long, but Mason doesn't sit still enough to just prop himself against a tree just yet. I pulled the card from the cam, and found the nice 7 pt had been there shortly after we left Sunday evening. :) That's about par for the course! There have been a ton of deer hitting the corn, and even a rabbit or two. It's such a fun time of year to feed these things and get pics... and I am NOT a camera fan anymore. We will be sitting in comfort this weekend with a muzzleloader in hand. Gawd help any buck that stumbles in front of Mason.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 310

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here is the set up. Should be a 15-20 yard shot if he lets 'em come in to the corn. He can shoot a little farther with the muzzleloader, but I set this up really for him to bowhunt out of.

Attachments

• IMG-20130102-00604.jpg
    IMG-20130102-00604.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 281

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I hunted the blind for the first time this morning. We had a doe come in and stand at about 40 yards for maybe 10 minutes. Mason had the scope on her, but I wouldn't let him shoot. I suspect it was the first time she has seen the blind and was a bit freaked by it. I should have set it up sooner, but was hoping to avoid using it. After watching Mason dance around the first evening we hunted the area, I knew we needed the blind. Anyway, we had a blast this morning watching the squirrels (tons of 'em) birds, and a coyote that didn't offer a shot.

BTW, the recent setting up of the blind doesn't seem to bother the nice 7 point much... Hope he's back tomorrow afternoon!

Attachments

• WGI_0004.jpg
    WGI_0004.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 284

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We have a plan for today. We are going out probably around 2, taking Mason's air rifle along. Not the best idea if we were serious about killing another deer, but we are gonna try shooting a few squirrels for Grandpa before the deer come in - if they do. Was saw so many yesterday that Mason could care less about the bucks...he wants to shoot squirrels, and I may even shoot a few too. What the heck, its all for fun anyway!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Successful hunt is still a hunt. We're gonna lay a few down at Diane's....... I counted about 12 at one time yesterday. Good Luck, but still hope Mason get's some horns in this snow!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know for a fact when I was his age I would have rather shot squirrels all day than wait on a buck that may never show up. And we have the rest of the month to get a crack at one of the bucks...what do we have to lose? :) We'll stop shooting at squirrels around 4, at least that's the plan.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We had a blast yesterday evening! Didn't see a single deer, but still had fun. Mason shot one squirrel cleanly through the head at about 15 yards or so, that was all the killing done. Lots of misses though. Groundblinds and corn piles are big fun to hunt just because of the amount of wildlife you see. Birds mostly, but squirrels and rabbits too... and I suppose a deer will come along eventually. :)

Attachments

• Madison-20130106-00612.jpg
    Madison-20130106-00612.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 296