Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2020

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jr is still on the bean field most every night. He’s got friends too but he is the most impressive antlered of the bunch.
FF821BDF-BA46-4022-BFD5-8C29FDEDE0FA.jpeg
FD29E26E-C1AD-4806-8357-122E7DB1D4D0.jpeg
FF821BDF-BA46-4022-BFD5-8C29FDEDE0FA.jpeg
F7C46069-96A3-4709-9DF7-A99D17386CAA.jpeg
DF5ABD7A-6986-4433-BD6E-389206684B2C.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason has been working on a thing for the last couple weeks. I’ve been super happy with how I’ve been shooting until he comes along and starts using the same technique. In short order he’s shooting as well as I am... dang kid has skills. He will kill one with this bow this fall or winter I’d guess.
6BAA5D00-B718-4383-9CFE-1E7164A85137.jpeg
EA438300-B93A-4926-AD8A-58BE967F27DA.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lol. Nope. He is shooting in the general direction of the pond and if he would ever miss I guess it could skip out there. Fortunately he rarely misses. In fact his truck was parked right behind the target when he was shooting. Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Reasonable assumption. The field behind the house is littered with arrows no longer deemed worthy. Always fun to see how far a busted up shaft will fly into the heavens.

Reactions: giles

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am not one to hate spiders. I’m also not one to cry when I kill one. This guy was on a bag target around midnight tonight. I pulled my arrows and he never flinched so I decided to try shooting the thing from 20 yards. I got pretty close but not close enough to scare it off. 😁. I scampered off when I pulled this group of arrows or I’d have tried again.
AF696C10-892B-4814-AFEB-258E3DF4BE99.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Joe and his father in law, Jim, came down for the opening day of dove season. I managed to kill two on the first two shots today fired yesterday while walking around our pond before Joe and Jim arrived. One of the birds crashed into the woods beside the pond and I couldn’t find it so I went to the house to get Peanut. He pointed the bird in short order and I gathered it up.
We headed to the dove fields where we demonstrated poor shooting, particularly me, as I didn’t kill a single dove. Mason and Jim sat together. Although we were a fair distance apart, we could hear those two talking non-stop about archery and competitive archery in particular. I told Joe right at the beginning of the hunt that Mason would wear Jim out talking about bows and shooting. I was wrong - Jim hung right in there and talked up a storm. I think if it were not for the necessity of actually ending the day at bedtime, those two would still be talking. Lol
I didn’t get any pics at the fields though I should have. There was really no point in me trying to shoot the gun... here’s the first two birds along with Peanut’s all-star performance.
7DE68BEE-1245-4C4C-9FFF-2CC6756840E6.jpeg
AAF8C29C-7172-4AD8-BC6C-B7EAA53FEF90.jpeg
6BE9511E-476B-40E7-8979-65FC664770D7.jpeg

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I am not one to hate spiders. I’m also not one to cry when I kill one. This guy was on a bag target around midnight tonight. I pulled my arrows and he never flinched so I decided to try shooting the thing from 20 yards. I got pretty close but not close enough to scare it off. 😁. I scampered off when I pulled this group of arrows or I’d have tried again. View attachment 108287
Do you haveba spider tag

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason went to KY to deer hunt with his buddy, Caleb this week. They left early Monday and returned late Thursday. They hunted an area I was familiar with from 15 years ago. Things have changed. The fields that were once clover are now an overgrown weedy mess and do not draw deer like they once did. The boys put on a lot of miles trying to find a concentration of deer and eventually found a tiny patch of clover in the midst of a weed field. From that point on they enjoyed good hunts, seeing deer most sits. Mason shot a doe through the back straps one evening, a mistake he thought a lot about afterward. They tracked her 300 yards or so before the blood trail ended without her ever bedding down. He felt he was in a better position than Caleb so he moved Caleb in hopes of him getting an opportunity since he had already blown a chance. Caleb never had an opportunity at an adult deer the entire trip, seeing only fawns. So in the last few minutes of their hunt, Caleb made a good shot on a very tender button buck. 😁. I think this trip would have been a great memory maker for these boys if they had never seen a deer. It was their first hunting trip alone, they did it without any dads along to do anything for them and they did it successfully.

Yesterday Mason and I attended an archery shoot close to home. It was an absolute blast. They had a downsized elk target for up for grabs. Basically a fairly difficult shot through the woods at a small target in the shadows at 46 yards. Hit the kill, get ten tickets. I knew I had a “ringer “ with me so I paid up and turned him loose. Ten shots later we had 100 tickets in the pot and one of ours was drawn. It’s a cool little target and I enjoyed trying it out last night.
690E8AD0-F72B-4C0F-8711-D08ACC2F948F.jpeg
8B10BC0B-6436-4A78-852A-8E8857A5FD02.jpeg