Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2018-2019

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
So this is a fitting end to this thread...
I’ve got a buck that was 4.5 years old this season. I originally told Mason I would not kill him but changed my mind after seeing him on the hoof. I had a rough season on this property due to flooding- the deer were simply not moving in the manner they usually do. Anyway, Mason and I have come to refer to this deer as “the nine point” because he was a very recognizable 9 for the first three years he had antlers. He added a few points last year but there is no doubt it’s the same deer. I’ve got a couple of his sheds, countless pictures and I’ve taken a lot of videos of him from the tree stand. During gun season I was just about to pull the trigger on him when a man came walking onto the scene and ran him off. Grrr. Of course I have wondered if he made it through the season. He did!
At the ball park the other day a man whipped out his phone to show me a pic of shed antlers his friend had found. I was floored to see them, it was him for sure. And as luck would have it, the friend is a man that comes to the shop regularly. Keep in mind, the farm is 20 miles from the shop- small world. He brought the antlers in to the shop today. Absolutely no doubt it’s him and I look forward to checking up on this deer this fall!
A77F5E37-F4D7-49BE-96BA-9359112F2ABA.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should add the antlers were picked up a mile east of the farm I hunt. There is not a lot of woodlands in Fayette County but a creekbottom runs the entire distance. These deer cover ground and a mile is nothing to them. I assume it’s similar in wooded areas but we tend to think they stay smaller areas, mistakenly I’d guess.

Reactions: Big_Holla and 5Cent

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I should add the antlers were picked up a mile east of the farm I hunt. There is not a lot of woodlands in Fayette County but a creekbottom runs the entire distance. These deer cover ground and a mile is nothing to them. I assume it’s similar in wooded areas but we tend to think they stay smaller areas, mistakenly I’d guess.

The last big one I was chasing was killed 2.2miles away as a crow flies. No doubt they cover some ground in these open AG areas.