Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2018-2019

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I took Chubs out this morning. I haven’t had him out for a week or so. He did well. We only saw and killed one rooster but along with that he pointed a bunch of quail. If not for Chubs quick feet and good nose, the rooster would have got away. I shot him and he hit the ground running. Chubs tracked him down and brought him back.
5FC4C3A2-E94D-40A9-8A88-3DFA7EF995E9.jpeg
3E2DECCD-DA0D-4BB8-8FB5-94764F2E8B66.jpeg
03ABC06C-8B1E-4FD8-A7A0-59DE2CF349EC.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I always enjoyed watching my cousins dog work. Amazing how good and quickly they can learn to find and retrieve birds.
That’s true. Chubs is still a pup so he’s still refining his game. He has no issue on birds, the breeding tells him what to do. However, he’s still distracted by trash. Mice hold his attention at times. Today we nearly stepped on a shed buck. When it took off, so did Chubs. I gave him a quick correction and he came off the track, but wanted to go. Lol. He will get over all that eventually. GSP are just smart, there is no other explanation. Most bird dogs are that way.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And just like that, pheasant season has come to an end.
Clint and I hunted hard yesterday. We covered 6 miles per gps. We didn’t move a bird until about mile 5, then they were all flushing too far to shoot.
This afternoon was a bit better. We saw about a dozen I’d guess, killed two. Chubs pointed really well, he’s going to be a really good dog and I’m super happy with how he is doing.
Here is a pic of Clint with a rooster killed in the last minutes of season, along with Chubs, Abe and Annie. These dogs really put the work in and it is truly an enjoyable thing to watch.
32B757F1-897C-4439-9364-778A7F97609A.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason has been fooling around across the road with the dogs too much to kill a deer over there. I found the resident herd and currently they are a mile behind the house. That being the case, I went out to the gar home to see if we could chum the hole. There are tracks absolutely everywhere, saw two small bucks when I pulled in. So I popped up the Penthouse, dumped corn and set up a camera. Mason has a tag to fill for a friend and I may try to kill one with a longbow... probably won’t bother but I’d like to see what’s around anyway. Again, none of the fellas that hunted out there killed a deer this year. I have no idea how about hey did not.
Here’s the set up and a few tracks on the field edge.
C1A49DB3-02B4-4419-82EC-ED1DC11FAAA7.jpeg
B76A3928-FE0B-4B53-A406-9D44E68D8635.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Spent most of yesterday chasing squirrels with Jamie. Always a good time. We killed 11.
I shot my longbow a good bit today. At least enough to knock the dust off and feel good about my shooting. This evening I headed over to the gar hole while Mason went hunting with his buddy Caleb. Jamie and I had cleaned squirrels right by the blind yesterday. A redtail enjoyed a squirrel meal just feet from me. That was cool but the sound of flesh being ripped and small bones being snapped was a little unnerving until I saw what it was. :).
I had five deer come in, lead by a smart old doe. She came up out of the ravine like usual, but circled the blind by leaving the woods and walking in a wide open field behind the blind. I had not smoked up because I felt pretty good about the wind... I didn’t count on dealing with a pro. She’s good. She won. She went one way and the other four went right back down into the ravine. They were still there when I left. I’ll smoke myself next time.
E8E09636-C938-4F08-9103-990002B1A1C6.jpeg
43E5AF24-9A12-4B36-8E15-391A3BD8F518.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I took the crossbow and sat on the ground tonight. I tried to play the wind, it worked well enough. Had a doe come in to the corn pile, had the crossbow tonight so I put the scope on her. She was standing at 33 yards broadside with a sampling partly covering her vitals. I shifted trying to get a better angle and another deer I didn’t see busted me. The doe in the scope hung around a while but never offered a shot. All the fun... Mason is going out there Saturday.

Creamer

Athens
A highly intelligent university prof told me last week that he was told deer hibernate in the winter when it gets cold, so I'm a little surprised you're still seeing deer.

:oops:

Reactions: brock ratcliff