Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock and Mason... continued

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I had an enjoyable muzzle loader season. We saw a good number of deer, one decent buck which Mason ran out to me. We were not able to hunt Saturday. We saw that buck go into a thicket while running cams Sunday afternoon. We ran home, shot the guns a couple times and then went after him. It almost worked but no shot was offered. Mason wore himself out in the process and decided to stay home while I went hunting Sunday evening. I wanted to hunt Fayette County, but we had fooled around too long for me to make the drive. I went close to home and saw seven doe and fawns. A total of 11 for the afternoon. They were all close enough to shake hands as I hunkered next to a tiny tree watching a field crossing. Fun.

Monday, I waited on Mason to get home from school. Then he had to feed his animals and other chores, so we were too late again to hunt Fayette. So, we went to a neighbors farm again. I saw five, all antlerless, and Mason saw one doe.

Today, I handled the feeding chores so we could make it to Fayette. Of course it is windy as heck, and sadly warm again. We saw a pile of squirrels, but that was all. Not surprising. I went ahead and pulled the camera I have set over a corn pile up there as the batteries were dead. Sure enough, the deer Mason would like to shoot was there each day of muzzy season in daylight with the exception of today! He's a nice deer, not great, but would be a nice one for Mason to end his season on. He's one I could have shot at the end of October or first part of November. He is a 3 year old, the landowner has a lot of pics of him from last year. I'd like to see him next year, but honestly at this point if we get to hunt up there again and he gives either of us a shot, his days are numbered. He's pretty.

I'm running two corn pile and camera set ups at the neighbors place where Tines and Beans lived. Usually we will find a few nice ones there in January. I'll be checking those cams in a few days and go from there. Maybe something will get interesting there, maybe not. It's been a fun year regardless.

Here is the "Free Pass" that now looks like a "Big 9". :)

Attachments

• 01080928.jpg
    01080928.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 291

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We are about done for the year. Mason filled his buck tag on the 26 th. I still have my tag and am planning to hunt tonight in hopes of seeing a really solid 9 point. I didn't hunt last night so I'm sure he was there since I was not.
Yesterday was a wild day. Jamie came down with his squirrel dogs. We treed one, missed it horribly. Before we could redeem ourselves, Jamie got a call that his first grandbaby was soon to arrive so he had to leave. My buddy Lathe brought his daughter up for her first rabbit hunt. We went to an exceptional property. My beagle just didn't act right. She stayed right by my feet with no spring in her step at all. We jumped four rabbit in the half hour we were there and she refused to chase any of them. She has NEVER acted this way so I am a bit concerned about the old girl. We gave up on rabbit hunting and went to my buddy's preserve and shot six birds in front of our GSP. That, at least went smoothly :). And Ruger did a fine job for us, he's a good dog and I wish we had time to bird hunt more often!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
She's is just laying around today too. I hope she just has a bug or something. She is usually out chasing rabbits all around our little woods all day long. Our vet will be here this afternoon to look at a new goat so I'll have him look her over while he is here. Oh yeah, he's going to cut the goats balls off too. :)

Gordo

Athens County
Hope your beagle snaps out of it buddy.

You guys have had a real roller coaster of a season! Great that mason was able to punch his buck tag! Good luck this afternoon!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks, Gordo! I feel about as lucky as I get in regards to tonight's hunt. But, they are deer, and you just never know. Still, perfect wind, high pressure, cool...and a dandy buck coming regularly. Gotta try.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The vet helps supply the vittles for Andys "testicle festival ". He was eating lunch at the shop Friday when I told him I wanted him to stop by. He asked if we would be saving the "meat ". Ha

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
She's is just laying around today too. I hope she just has a bug or something. She is usually out chasing rabbits all around our little woods all day long. Our vet will be here this afternoon to look at a new goat so I'll have him look her over while he is here. Oh yeah, he's going to cut the goats balls off too. :)

And the goat is just gonna let it happen? He must not be too smart!...:smiley_coolpeace: