Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead poll

Season is just around the corner, with hat being said. Who shoots what type of broadhead?

• Fixed Blade

• Mechanical

• Both depending on what weapon I use

Results are only viewable after voting.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ok folks, whatcha shooting? Fixed or Mechanical.

PS. This isn’t a debate just a poll too see how many on here shoot what...

Chass

The Hills
For my compound I have gone to a mechanical. I really like the G5 T3s, used 3 bladed muzzies for years but hated that they flew different from field tips. I've only used the practice tip on the T3s once and they fly identical to a field tip so I don't bother practicing with them anymore and haven't since I first got em 5+ years ago. Once the season opens I just swap the field points for the T3s and I'm ready to go! I will even admit that I used to be a true hater of mechanical as well.
I got a Bear Recurve this spring, and am hoping to take a deer with it this year. I need to practice a lot more and im running out of time quick! If it goes into the woods this year I will put a fixed blade on it. I've been thinking about a Zwickey or DirtNap for the recurve.

Reactions: Jackalope

Qback5

Shot thunderheads for probably 20+ years. Never failed me, but I did just switch last year to Rage because of the diameter they offer. Deer look like I threw a hatchet at them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shot thunderheads for probably 20+ years. Never failed me, but I did just switch last year to Rage because of the diameter they offer. Deer look like I threw a hatchet at them.

Same boat, shot thunderheads for a couple decades. Once I started stretching my shooting too 40+ yards I couldn’t hold a group with those heads anymore. Switched to rages and never looked back...
Field tip or rage makes no difference on impact.... That makes me very comfortable...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Compound - Magnus Stinger 150's (fixed COC)

Recurve - Magnus Stinger 100's (fixed COC)

Crossgun - Grim Reaper 100's (expandable)

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Rage Hypodermic (expandable)...soon as I nock a deer down....they dont go no more than 40 yards.

Reactions: Bigslam51

Fletch

Supporting Member
Slick Trick.... Very strong fixed blade broadheads that flys like a dart... Always a complete pass thru... BUT... WITH ANY BROADHEADS IT'S ABOUT SHOT PLACEMENT.. PERIOD...

Reactions: Boarhead

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Slick Trick.... Very strong fixed blade broadheads that flys like a dart... Always a complete pass thru... BUT... WITH ANY BROADHEADS IT'S ABOUT SHOT PLACEMENT.. PERIOD...

I've shot tricks since you had to send a check mail order to some guy on ArcheryTalk. I've shot deer broadside, quartering to, quartering away, straight down, straight on, and probably every angle but up from the bottom. I've never not reached vitals unless it was in the spine where that doesn't really matter anyway. I line it up for the exit and let it rip. The blood trails sometimes leave a little to be desired depending on how high up the exit is though. To me however reaching vitals is my number one concern and I absolutely do not want to wait for that perfect broadside or quartering away shot to present itself. It's hard enough to get a target deer in range, and when he does I don't want to wait for so called textbook shot because my broadhead has penetration problems. Rage broadheads have probably killed more deer than EHD, no denying that. But I have also read countless stories about lack of penetration that causes me to shy away. I just can't ignore it and still feel comfortable trying to slam one home on a facing away downward shot through the back. Thats just me though everyone is different.

Jamie

Ohio
been shooting original Woodsman three blades for the last few years but, Magnus 160's, Zwickey Delta's, Ribtek 145's that are mounted on arrows from seasons passed still find their way into my quiver sometimes depending on which bow I'm using. I've never hunted with anything other than the cut on contact heads I listed above in all of my 37 seasons. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and i shot our bucks with Schwackers last year. They both died quickly. I shot a doe late season with a Zwickey. It died too. I've got quite a few years doing this stuff now and honestly have no preferred head with modern gear. With "old school " bows, I want a cut on contact head.