Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bolt action rifles

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Looking into getting an all purpose rifle. This would be for hunting big game outside of Ohio and use as a groundhog gun to keep my skills sharp here in Ohio. I am REALLY impressed with my CVA cascade. Bergara barrel, cerakote, threaded muzzle for $500ish. What would I gain in going to a higher dollar bolt like a bergara, tikka, browning, etc? Other than less money in my wallet and a "nicer" name on the receiver.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Looking into getting an all purpose rifle. This would be for hunting big game outside of Ohio and use as a groundhog gun to keep my skills sharp here in Ohio. I am REALLY impressed with my CVA cascade. Bergara barrel, cerakote, threaded muzzle for $500ish. What would I gain in going to a higher dollar bolt like a bergara, tikka, browning, etc? Other than less money in my wallet and a "nicer" name on the receiver.
Still haven't shot mine. Grrr lol

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve got a browning a-bolt stainless stalker in 300WSM with the boss system. You can tune the barrel to your ammo instead of reloading the ammo the match the oscillation of the barrel. It’s a tack driver and can be used for just about any big game animal in North America, and you can do some long range shooting for woodchucks also. I shoot the Winchester Barnes bullets and it drops Saskatchewan bucks in their tracks. I saw one not to long ago for sale for $750.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I’ve got a browning a-bolt stainless stalker in 300WSM with the boss system. You can tune the barrel to your ammo instead of reloading the ammo the match the oscillation of the barrel. It’s a tack driver and can be used for just about any big game animal in North America, and you can do some long range shooting for woodchucks also. I shoot the Winchester Barnes bullets and it drops Saskatchewan bucks in their tracks. I saw one not to long ago for sale for $750.
one of my requirements is a threaded barrel

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Fin has an Browning X bolt stalker long range....I have a gun dealer looking for the CVA for me. Any reason to spend the extra 3-400 on the browning?

Bowhunter57

Allen County
Savage High Country or Predator model, in the caliber of your choice. :unsure:
A 243 would fit the bill for all around killing power and at any range. Plenty of bullet selection for large game and varmints here in Ohio. :cool:(y)

I recently picked up a Savage Predator in 243, at Sportsman's Den, in Shelby, for just under $700.
It has the Accu-Stock (adjustable for length of pull and cheek weld height), Accu-Trigger and a 24" heavy, but fluted and threaded barrel.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• P2A1.jpg
    P2A1.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Ohiosam