Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boil time

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's pretty cool to know Chad. The mass is a trait of most mature deer so that helps things add up. I wonder if he got injured on his right side early in life?

The euro looks great Chad, well done!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Congrats on the find and on the finish!

One hint for next one and to get those stains out that you mentioned is to degrease the skull before whitening. The initial whitening process makes them look nice, but after a while you will probably notice yellow stains creeping back through. If you don't care about a perfectly white skull then you can skip degreasing, but for longevity of the whiteness degreasing is a must. I soak mine in 120 degree solution of water and dawn dish soap, changing water every other day or so. Usually it takes a month of doing this to remove most of the grease. I have had one soaking for 3 months (really old and stained) and still am going at it. Acetone bath will help too, just be careful. Dont heat the acetone.

Congrats again!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks wolfpack! I'm not TOO worried about it being perfect, it looks better than when I found him! I didn't know degreasing took so long, I only soaked it in dawn for a day and a half and scrubbed it with a toothbrush.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Congrats on the find and on the finish!

One hint for next one and to get those stains out that you mentioned is to degrease the skull before whitening. The initial whitening process makes them look nice, but after a while you will probably notice yellow stains creeping back through. If you don't care about a perfectly white skull then you can skip degreasing, but for longevity of the whiteness degreasing is a must. I soak mine in 120 degree solution of water and dawn dish soap, changing water every other day or so. Usually it takes a month of doing this to remove most of the grease. I have had one soaking for 3 months (really old and stained) and still am going at it. Acetone bath will help too, just be careful. Dont heat the acetone.

Congrats again!

Yep. I always spend a lot of time de-greasing them. Sun will also take out some of the yellow stains.