Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blind bale? Anything else

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok so I’ve been very happy with the archer I’ve become but I’m never satisfied. I occasionally still get target panic or anticipate the release.

Blind bale seems to really help a lot. Any other tips to making sure the finger is over the trigger and I’m not using my tip of finger?

One item that helps me is to tell myself every time I draw
Grip
Anchor
Watch the arrow hit my target

Sorry it’s been awhile y’all!

AT

Reactions: Big_Holla

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Are you using back tension or still using your finger to actuate the trigger? If you've never messed with a back tension release, I recommend purchasing one and learning to use it.

Reactions: Big_Holla

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Are you using back tension or still using your finger to actuate the trigger? If you've never messed with a back tension release, I recommend purchasing one and learning to use it.

I’ve never messed with a back tension Jesse. I know what they are and understand the concept. I probably will mess with one next winter.

I feel pretty darn good out to 40 yards. I’m just looking for something to get me to shoot consistent at 50. Now maybe that’s back tension but I don’t want to mess with that this year, ya know what I mean?

Blind bale as helped me a lot so far.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
AIM. Think about nothing else at anchor. The bow will go off. Mason had trouble with this concept until he really learned to shoot a hinge release. Not knowing when the release would happen left him nothing to think about but to aim. Even with a hinge, I believe most folks still trigger the release, so the release itself is not a cure-all. Trust your subconscious, regardless of release style- you can only think of one thing consciously, make that one thing aiming. Never allow yourself to say "now" or "shoot " just aim.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
AIM. Think about nothing else at anchor. The bow will go off. Mason had trouble with this concept until he really learned to shoot a hinge release. Not knowing when the release would happen left him nothing to think about but to aim. Even with a hinge, I believe most folks still trigger the release, so the release itself is not a cure-all. Trust your subconscious, regardless of release style- you can only think of one thing consciously, make that one thing aiming. Never allow yourself to say "now" or "shoot " just aim.

Brock I remember you telling me this on this site years ago and boy it helped me a lot!! Still not perfect but it has helped.

I think one thing for me is creating muscle memory for the same exact anchor point every time. I believe this will help me tighten my 50 yard groups.

Any drills like blind bale or anything that a guy can use to help “drill” that into his brain?

Sounds like a back tension release is in my future- next off season!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I gave you what I feel is the best advice to be given considering you mentioned that you still anticipate the shot. I've told an awful lot of folks over the years it is generally the indian, not the bow. Once the indian is dialed in, there are add-ons that can greatly increase the Indian's consistency. One of those add-ons is a back bar. They will balance a bow to perfection if the indian actually takes the time to adjust them properly. I do not shoot a hinge style release well without a back bar on my bow. A caliper, with a hunting set up, I shoot relatively well even at longer range... well enough for hunting purposes. If you think you have the aiming trick down and are still wanting tighter groups, look at a back bar to add weight and balance to your bow.
Do you shoot with your quiver attached? If so, get rid of it. Your groups will tighten at distance. If you are a shooter only concerned with <30 yard shots, not an issue.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I had a spell of target panic a couple of years ago during the off season. It lasted several months. Eventually I got out of it by changing a few things. There's always a shot during a session that even before you see where it landed, it just "feels" really good. Usually the arrow does find the mark in these instances. Whatever I was doing or tweaking I tried like hell to repeat that process. And what the others are saying about "enjoying aiming" makes a ton of sense to me now. Once I had my grip, leveling and anchoring process nailed down I started enjoying the aiming process. The target panic was gone, and actually I started shooting better than I ever have. Everyone I know shoots a little different than the next guy, just gotta find your happy place I guess.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I gave you what I feel is the best advice to be given considering you mentioned that you still anticipate the shot. I've told an awful lot of folks over the years it is generally the indian, not the bow. Once the indian is dialed in, there are add-ons that can greatly increase the Indian's consistency. One of those add-ons is a back bar. They will balance a bow to perfection if the indian actually takes the time to adjust them properly. I do not shoot a hinge style release well without a back bar on my bow. A caliper, with a hunting set up, I shoot relatively well even at longer range... well enough for hunting purposes. If you think you have the aiming trick down and are still wanting tighter groups, look at a back bar to add weight and balance to your bow.
Do you shoot with your quiver attached? If so, get rid of it. Your groups will tighten at distance. If you are a shooter only concerned with <30 yard shots, not an issue.

Brock that’s some great advice! Thanks!

I over analyze everything in my life. I myself sometimes wonder why I need to shoot 2inch groups at 50 yards when all my hunting sets are 30 yards or less. However I just enjoy shooting.

One thing I have found is when I land in my draw cycle at the “spot” where you just feel solid, the finger is well over the trigger, etc I shoot fantastic. I know that “spot” well but just once in awhile I’ll have a target panic or slap trigger shot. That might be once out of 100 arrows but it is not perfect. Maybe I’m being over critical.

I started this post without really knowing what I’m looking for but I love all the responses.

Idk if my rambling makes any damn sense.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
50 yards just now First two arrows I've launched from my hunting bow in several days. Just aim
IMG_2432.JPG

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Another trick to keep it together through the shot; don't blink. It's human nature to want to see the arrows flight and impact. So out mind will say shoot and get the bow out of the way so we can see the arrow. All this happens without concious thought and results in our not having the best follow through. We flinch with the anticipation of the shot. I beat it by telling myself to watch the arrows flight through the peep. Don't blink, watch through the peep, and you can punch the trigger as badly as you please with no I'll effect. Takes a little refining, but works like a charm.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Another trick to keep it together through the shot; don't blink. It's human nature to want to see the arrows flight and impact. So out mind will say shoot and get the bow out of the way so we can see the arrow. All this happens without concious thought and results in our not having the best follow through. We flinch with the anticipation of the shot. I beat it by telling myself to watch the arrows flight through the peep. Don't blink, watch through the peep, and you can punch the trigger as badly as you please with no I'll effect. Takes a little refining, but works like a charm.
Pulling the bow almost cost me big time last year.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I can shoot targets all day like a champ without coming out of my routine with my shot, then i want to pull the bow when I get a big buck in front of me. I need to drill your advice into my head.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
In addition to the blind bale, get in the habit of keeping the pin on the target until you hear the arrow hit. While aiming, squeeze the trigger, don’t punch it....it should be a complete surprise when it goes off. Keeping the pin on the target all the way through the shot helped me concentrate on my form...and I didn’t have to think about the release.