Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blackhorn 209 Powder....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok, Blackhorn 209 powder has been mentioned in several threads, so let's hear everyone's view points on it so hopefully others can learn...

Couple years ago I bought a CVA Accura MR and intended to use BH209 so I ordered a BH209 breech plug... I started out using 100 grains by volume pushing a Barnes 250 grain T/EZ Spitfire... I also was using CCI magnum 209 primers.... Accuracy was fantastic with this combo and easy to load after numerous shots...
Cleanup was a breeze... On a side note, the Barnes bullets are devastating... Only problem I had with it was when dumping powder charge down muzzle alot would stay in tube that powder was in due to static electricity... Inquired on a muzzle loader forum and was told to wipe out out tubes with a dryer sheet to eliminate this problem... Problem solved...

Last edited:

OO2

In the Uplands
I’m a believer in the 209 as well. I have tried the pellet powder and it’s really dirty and inaccurate with follow up shots. The 209 is much cleaner and much easier to load and shoot accurately with follow ups.

I run a CVA Optima V2 with 110 grains (volume) of Blackhorn 209 topped off with a 300 grain Hornady STP. I use 209 breech plug and cci primer.

Reactions: eloucha and Fletch

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
BH 209 excellent velocity and clean easier no mass. I try it the other day compared to pellets white hot and777.

This was 150 yards. Cheers if u go with Bh209 u wish u try it before. But good luck finding some or primers This days like ur searching for treasure for any ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I was running triple 7 and 250gr XTPs and a Bushnell eotech knockoff holographic sight (i had it at Strouds one year). I was experiencing jacket failures on the bullet at short range (was pushing it a bit fast) and also wanted to change to a scope. So i changed powder to BH209, a new scope (leupold 1.25-4) and 240gr xtp mags. I've been very happy, cleanup is a breeze. My only complaint is the lack of a fragrant cloud after the shot.

Reactions: 5Cent

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I haven’t shot a muzzleloader in years but I used triple 7 pellets and Barnes bullets. Had great accuracy and knock down power. If I get my doe day/buck tag filled in early January, I may go get my black powder license. I never had time when I was working so my hunting vacation was used for archery and shotgun seasons. I may have to try the BH209...not even sure if the triple 7 is even any good after sitting on the reloading shelf for ten years.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I haven’t shot a muzzleloader in years but I used triple 7 pellets and Barnes bullets. Had great accuracy and knock down power. If I get my doe day/buck tag filled in early January, I may go get my black powder license. I never had time when I was working so my hunting vacation was used for archery and shotgun seasons. I may have to try the BH209...not even sure if the triple 7 is even any good after sitting on the reloading shelf for ten years.
I wouldn't trust it, triple 7 is hygroscopic.

Reactions: Sgt Fury