Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Black bear

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
So a couple of friends and I are heading to Virginia in early October for an archery bear hunt. We are all pretty excited about it and really looking forward to it.
My biggest question is if my bow/arrow combo is good. I currently shoot an Obcession Turmoil set at 65# with a 29.5" draw. I shoot full length black eagle outlaws arrows tipped with 100 grain slick tricks. The guide said that an average shot is 25-30 yds with 40 being the max. So about where I feel confident shooting deer at.
Any suggestions or thoughts will be appreciated

Reactions: 5Cent

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Your setup is more than enough. Waiting for a broadside or quartering away shot is critical. A bear will expire surprisingly quick if the arrow takes out both lungs. Of the two bears I’ve taken, one went 20 yards and the other a little over 30. Good luck.

Reactions: Mike and Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Jagermeister and Fury are both correct with your setup being more than enough to harvest a black bear... Shot placement is the most important key..
Unlike deer aim slightly further back and slightly higher than usual... Kinda center mass, you want to avoid that rather large shoulder blade... Wait for him to move that leg closest to you forward... Slick Trick should pass right through... Shot mine last year with a Slick Trick and had a complete pass through and head buried in a tree.. Bear went less than 100 yds... Here's a pic I copied off internet .. Hit that dot and he's a dead bear... GOOD LUCK with your hunt.....
maxresdefault.jpg

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I've been looking quite a bit at shot placement. Center mass should be easy to remember under pressure. They dont run bait sites so I'm not sure what to expect really but either way should be fun. I've been looking at getting a 3d bear target practice.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I've been looking quite a bit at shot placement. Center mass should be easy to remember under pressure. They dont run bait sites so I'm not sure what to expect really but either way should be fun. I've been looking at getting a 3d bear target practice.
No bait sites??? Your odds of success just dropped, so let's up your odds a little... Go buy a plastic spray bottle you would put cleaners in, Home Depot has them... Next go get a quart of annisette at your local liquor store, cheapest brand possible... Fill the spray bottle with the annisette and spray the trees as you approach your stand laying down a scent trail of annisette... Also go to your local grocery store and go to the baking isle and get a bottle or two of McCormick Anise extract... Then hang on a limb a saturated scent wick as you would do for deer... Bears love the smell of licorice and it carries a ways in the woods.... BUT BEFORE DOING ANY OF THE ABOVE CHECK THE DNR RULES IF IT IS LEGAL....

Reactions: Mike

Fletch

Supporting Member
Checked it out... Wish they had more harvest pics... Guess they are hunting berrie patches and areas of oak flats or ridges... How many days is your hunt??

Reactions: giles

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok... Haven't seen any updates on this... Did it take place yet or is it happening soon ????? Give us an update.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I'll be heading out next Wednesday with my group of degenerate buddies. Have most everything ready and the weather is looking pretty decent.
We will mostly be hunting on national forest lands in the highest bear county in Virginia. I'm starting to get pretty damn excited.

Fletch

Supporting Member
WELL......Let's hear the full story... Any bears taken in camp while you were there???? Any bears seen???? So let's hear about your adventure.....

Reactions: GoetsTalon