Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Birds and yard critters

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks like a turtle hiding in the ground cover in the first picture along with the start of a 3 leave ivy you should look at.
The “turtle” looking object is an Ohio State Buckeye stamped flat decorative rock that needs repainted and that 3 leaf is one of many small trees I fight constantly from the fallen hickory hulls.

Reactions: "J"

Creamer

Athens
We've spotted a sandhill crane down the road from our house just outside Athens. Last night my father in law went and got some good pics with his camera rig right at dusk. I'm pretty sure I have never seen one around here before.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What bird do you think this is ? I brought my cam from up behind the house where I shot my buck in & after reviewing all the pics on the card, I discovered this. I call this area the Buck Vacuum .... with very good reason. Anyway, I see this ..... its the only pic that was taken on that day. I swear it's a grouse.

grouse 3.JPG

Last edited:

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
What bird do you think this is ? I brought my cam from up behind the house where I shot my buck in & after reviewing all the pics on the card, I discovered this. I call this area the Buck Vacuum .... with very good reason. Anyway, I see this ..... its the only pic that was taken on that day. I swear it's a grouse.

View attachment 191429
IMG_3901.jpeg

either a grouse or a small hawk like this Cooper’s hawk.

Reactions: Outdoorsfellar

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I shot a grouse a long time ago and instead of the black band on its tail, it had a brown band. Took it to a taxidermist and he offered me $40 for it. I declined and gave him a deposit to mount it for me. I was in the military at the time and he kept giving excuses for a few years as to why it wasn’t done yet. Then he went out of business and moved away. That dirty bastard! Never seen one again with a tail like that.