Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Rivers. How flooded is too flooded?

Kinda new to the boating world a I have fished out of kayaks and small boats before. This past year as you know from previous posts, I got a 19' deep v with a 150 HP motor on it. I know they say the fishing can be really good when the river is flooded. With the small stuff, I would never attempt it. Just wondering if there is a limit to when and where you will go out? And what are some tips? I know floating debris can be a major issue.

Flathead I caught late this summer on the Ohio.

119734149_10216633715691422_8737920207208601418_n.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It’s all about confidence in you and your equipment. I’ve fished the river when people thought we were crazy with no issues and caught good fish. Flooding causes our target fish too be in the eddies and slack water. Makes it a little easier too find them. Being able too stay on spot while catching them can get tricky in heavy currents. Never fish a high and flowing river by yourself, also whoever is with you should be able too operate the equipment as well.
Barge traffic in heavy current should get your upmost respect and as wide a berth as you can safely give the. Nothing like witnessing a tug with a half dozen barges attached get spun around in a 180 from where they should be.
Floating debris are fairly easy too spot, always have your partner on the watch out as well. We have hand signals that point where we should turn too. You’d be amazed as too what them can see from their side that you didn’t. Submerged debris is a whole different ball game. Lots of logs and other items just below the surface, so slow down and keep a watchful eye.
This link will be a good barometer for your river trips. This is the Cumberland pool which is probably below you as you’re probably closer too the Montgomery pool.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pbz&gage=ncuw2

Reactions: OO2 and cspot
It’s all about confidence in you and your equipment. I’ve fished the river when people thought we were crazy with no issues and caught good fish. Flooding causes our target fish too be in the eddies and slack water. Makes it a little easier too find them. Being able too stay on spot while catching them can get tricky in heavy currents. Never fish a high and flowing river by yourself, also whoever is with you should be able too operate the equipment as well.
Barge traffic in heavy current should get your upmost respect and as wide a berth as you can safely give the. Nothing like witnessing a tug with a half dozen barges attached get spun around in a 180 from where they should be.
Floating debris are fairly easy too spot, always have your partner on the watch out as well. We have hand signals that point where we should turn too. You’d be amazed as too what them can see from their side that you didn’t. Submerged debris is a whole different ball game. Lots of logs and other items just below the surface, so slow down and keep a watchful eye.
This link will be a good barometer for your river trips. This is the Cumberland pool which is probably below you as you’re probably closer too the Montgomery pool.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pbz&gage=ncuw2

I mostly fish the pike island pool as I am closest to Weirton/ Steubenville area. I do fish the other pools some as well.

OO2

In the Uplands
How big of a wake do the barges throw? I’ve stayed off of the Ohio because of the barges. Is it comparable to the jet express or ferry?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you have too have the big motor running @1k RPM, in gear and using the trolling motor too steer the boat.... That might be a little much.... Or so I’ve heard 🙄

Reactions: cspot

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
All I'll say is that is was wading on the Maumee the day people died in a boat. Know the proper way to anchor in moving water.

Reactions: Gern186

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
How big of a wake do the barges throw? I’ve stayed off of the Ohio because of the barges. Is it comparable to the jet express or ferry?
Depends on speed and weight. But they can be a little more than a ripple too 4’. It’s all about common sense and keeping an eye out for them. I can usually go through the average barge wake @20 mph but have taken others @50 mph... You’ll get a feel for them after getting some seat time going through them. When in doubt slow down...

One thing I will do is get as safely close too the tug as you can and cut at a 45 degree angle from it. You’ll hit the fewest and closest waves and get the least amount of turbulence.

Last edited:
Reactions: cspot and OO2

OO2

In the Uplands
Depends on speed and weight. But they can be a little more than a ripple too 4’. It’s all about common sense and keeping an eye out for them. I can usually go through the average barge wake @20 mph but have taken others @50 mph... You’ll get a feel for them after getting some seat time going through them. When in doubt slow down...

One thing I will do is get as safely close too the tug as you can and cut at a 45 degree angle from it. You’ll hit the fewest and closest waves and get the least amount of turbulence.

I appreciate the advice!

Yep. Main thing is when anchored is keeping your guard up to watch for them so you can get out of their way. Good thing about barges is the bite seems to pick up when they go thru.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yep. Main thing is when anchored is keeping your guard up to watch for them so you can get out of their way. Good thing about barges is the bite seems to pick up when they go thru.
Yep, fishing shoals after a barge goes by has always been our go too.... If no barge traffic create your own wakes that go over them 😂

Reactions: OO2 and cspot

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
F

On our river you get the hell out of the way and find a place to hide. 😅

e152780297d4b7ff4fb96363515e344a.jpg

Reactions: cspot