Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Holla's Season of Hope!

We had plans of hunting a lot in October and peaking our hunts in November this season however with mom getting sick and eventually passing our hunting season looked to be over before it started. I told Allen then that we would try to get down as often as we could. With him open to giving the muzzleloader a try I knew it would open opportunities if we planned it right.

Allen's first couple of hunts he had opportunities at smal young bucks but he decided to pass. This weekend being muzzleloader season I knew this would be our best and likely last opportunity of the season. The cold and snow would make it tough but having a couple shack blinds and heaters would make it bearable for him.

We woke to the thermometer saying 6 degrees out as we made our way to the blind. The heater was frozen but at least we got the pilot light to start. Slowly but surly it thawed out and soon lit to start providing us some much needed warmth. 5 does showed up right after daylight. As the morning progressed we saw several more. Most were seeking points where the sun hit most. Around 11 we saw several bucks on a point to our south however it was too far and too much brush to shoot. The afternoon was when Allen and I traded naps, snacks and plenty of hot chocolate.

IMG_2332.jpg

Around 4 we started watching intently and soon a small buck appeared just below the shack. Soon a second good buck showed up behind the first. I was worried as they both seemed to get nervous all of a sudden and were directly downwind of us. They moved more into the woods and soon we realized there were two more bucks with them. We were pretty sure the biggest was to the right but he was partially obscured by a branch. He was big enough and Allen was on him. I told him if he got to the next opening that was where Allen had to nail him. Two good steps and before I said a word the muzzleloader went off and soon we could tell he hit him good!! We thought he fell as he went behind a clump of trees, just as the rest of the deer decided to run past us.

As we walked down the ridge to see if he was down we spotted him laying on the edge of dropping into a big waterfall cavern at the bottom.

IMG_2340.jpg

He was bigger than Allen and I had thought and luckily for two saplings that kept him from falling down into the waterfall cavern. This was one awesome moment and Allen was speechless!!

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

After all the hugging, fist bumping and a few pictures we had a lot of work ahead. We have killed deer down in that area before and the best way to get them out is a long rope, a four wheeler and a bit of hard work.

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

By far my best season ever! He's still smiling this morning!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome buck and what's better an awesome hunt spent together. Way to get out there in the cold and get it done.