Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best turkey load for 20 gauge

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
TSS isn't cheap to shoot, that is the only Con I see for not using it... I looked and researched alot over the fall and have settled on Apex ammo.
On a apex ammo box it states no smaller than .555 for 20 gauge so I'm leaning more toward a Tru Lock choke similar to what Dave Owens is using.

If your wanting to binge on some good turkey hunting videos give THE PINHOTI PROJECT a watch on YOUTUBE. This guy doesnt deliver great kill shot vids but is in my opinion the best on the web at killing birds all over the US.

Heres a great video on his setup and I think you'll like it..

Couldn't find the thread. If anyone is looking for a relatively cheap turkey gun that is already setup then look at the Savage 301 turkey. I got one for Christmas last year in a 20 gauge. Already comes with a choke that is well suited for TSS. Put a scope or reddot on it and you are ready to go. Not counting the sight the gun is setup and ready to go for under $200.

My son't bird in Ohio this year.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I got the longboard in 5 shot, I’m going to pick up a box of it in 6 shot also and run them both through the barrel.
Give it a shot.... But I and everyone I know uses #5 shot... Like you said... More umpffff... You'll have tight patterns with the long beards... Wish you could use a pellet rifle.... One pellet in the head... Hey like I said.... Spring turkey is all about getting them in close... I got a friend into turkey hunting years ago... First day out I called a bird in to him so close I thought he'd miss at 5 yds... No way he could raise the gun up till the last minute... He's an LEO and I joked with him that he would have never lived it down on a Jersey web sight... Took years of bugging him to go... Now he can't get enough... Last April he had Covid-19 and was hurting... Still got out and shot 3 birds...