Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best turkey load for 20 gauge

JohnnyAuto

Virginia
I’m glad I found this forum even though I live in Virginia.
I work on a military training and maneuver base. Lots of woods, tons of deer and turkey. I routinely have to stop to let deer and turkey cross the road while driving from the barracks to the office.
I have never hunted turkey before, and all I have is a 20 gauge Remington 870 and a full choke.
I’m so excited I feel like I’m about to piss myself like a little puppy.

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I work on a military training and maneuver base. Lots of woods, tons of deer and turkey. I routinely have to stop to let deer and turkey cross the road while driving from the barracks to the office.
I have never hunted turkey before, and all I have is a 20 gauge Remington 870 and a full choke.
I’m so excited I fell like I’m about to piss myself like a little puppy.
Welcome aboard. Jump right in, you found the right place.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’m so excited I feel like I’m about to piss myself like a little puppy.
AP Hill?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Thank you!
I didn’t know if a 20 gauge could get it done, but I am now confident it will if I do my part.
Welcome!

I don't own anything but a 20 gauge. It'll get it done.

Winchester XX turkey loads have killed 2 for me, my brother (using a 20) used a blended turkey load last year and my son used one of the TSS loads to take his Jake with my gun last spring.

My 870 has a (relatively) cheap jellyhead choke. The one for the TSS was a little pricier.

Good luck this spring and i look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Fletch

Supporting Member
20 gauge is plenty.... Ammo wise if you can get Winchester Long Beard XR in number 5 shot is the way to go... Start looking now for ammo as it may be hard to get... Once you get ammo PATTERN YOUR GUN... Spring turkey hunting is all about calling the bird in, the closer the better... Nothing better than when YOU become the hunted... GOOD LUCK...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Perfect, thank you!

I know much depends on pattern, but what would be a ballpark practical range?
40 yards max. You can stretch it a bit if using TSS loads and if your gun is patterning well. I’ve killed a few at 70 yards with a 12 gauge but that was wide open field and that gun was shooting an awesome pattern. Most of my kills with a 20 gauge have been 40 yards and under. Welcome aboard and good luck this spring.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
40 yards max. You can stretch it a bit if using TSS loads and if your gun is patterning well. I’ve killed a few at 70 yards with a 12 gauge but that was wide open field and that gun was shooting an awesome pattern. Most of my kills with a 20 gauge have been 40 yards and under. Welcome aboard and good luck this spring.
TSS allows you to stretch a good bit further than 40 yards. I've got more pellets in the head/neck at 65 yards with TSS than my 870 puts with the winchester xx turkey loads at 40. That's why you can easily use to 40+ with a .410 and TSS loads.

Reactions: Left field

Left field

use a TruGlo choke for the 20gauge

Attachments

• A849268F-F152-4EAA-8478-389A0C8ACAD1.jpeg
    A849268F-F152-4EAA-8478-389A0C8ACAD1.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 70