Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beginner Compound Bow Recommendations

Excellent!! Congratulations!! The Whisker Biscuit will get you through this season if you want, it's all in preference on what you are after this year. As other have mentioned it's best to look at something that touches that arrow very minimally after the arrow is released like a drop away rest. The biscuit touches (actually steers) the arrow all the way until it leaves the bow. Which can affect accuracy and as Dave mentioned it can mess up your vanes over time. If you keep it I would look at the vanes on your arrows and if there isn't a dab of glue on the front edge of each vane you should make sure you get some and do it. That will help keep your vanes from starting to peel off the arrow from the slight drag the biscuit puts on them. Good luck and have fun with it!! Show us how you are doing from time to time!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes, the WB will eat up fletchings and although you can be pie plate accurate, they are far from the top when it comes to accurate arrow rests. QAD, Limb Driver (Vapor Trail Archery), Trophy Ridge, and others make great rests that are more accurate and still offer some of the retainment benefits of a WB.

Isaacorps

Columbus
My best group at 20 yards tonight, I’ll take it for now. I’m really trying to concentrate on my form and repeating what I believe to be proper mechanics each time. This is going to be along journey but a fun one for sure! I need to be diligent about ending each session before fatigue starts to set in though lol. It’s hard when it’s so much fun 🤷🏻‍♂️
EE226742-67A8-4CF1-97BC-103464450DA6.jpeg

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Chad, I’m using the whisker buiscuit that came with it for now. Based on the recommendation of the guys here I’ll look at swapping it out to a drop away rest in the future
Cool cool. I've had a whisker biscuit on my first bow. Killed a doe. 25 yards. Have fun with the bow and good luck, bud. 👍🏽

I would stay away from all the entry bows and package bows. Buy a flagship bow that is a few years old and fits your budget. Entry level bows do not hold a candle to a flagship bow that is even 5 years old. All the entry level bows are not a refined, do not have the options, will not stay in tune as long, ect. Like others have said look at bows with axle to axle lengths greater that 30 inchs and brace heights greater than 6 inchs.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I have an older ''Ripcord' you're more than welcome to have.
2017-09-20 11.59.05.jpg

It works just fine.

I took it off my bow years ago.

And honestly,

I sought out the 'Whisker Biscuit' cause I like to get on the ground from time to time to stalk deer and I certainly have killed plenty with them on my bow.
3_Buck - Copy.jpg

Walking around in any kind of heavy brush with an arrow knocked using a WB was much less of hazel for me.

It's whatever works best for the type of hunting you like to do IMHO.

Fall away rest today are real nice and perhaps I'll try another one someday, but right now, I'm sticking with what works for me.

It's never failed me!

Reactions: Isaacorps