Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Been busy in the shop

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Finally got back to this great thread and I’m beyond words.....👍🏻

Keep on keepin buddy.

Loved rereading the majority of the pages. I’m with Mike. I want one of YOUR bows before you retire the business. IMO, it’s akin to owning a Brooks smokepole.👍🏻

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
finally finished the repair/refinish of my static. I read some time ago about guys finishing wooden and glass bows with this VHT wheel paint. its made to paint the wheels on your car, so it is quite durable. since I already had several coats of high gloss polyamide epoxy on this bow as the original finish, I carefully sanded the whole bow with 400 grit followed by some 000 steel wool and a final rub down with de-glosser (liquid sandpaper). I have to say that this stuff really goes on nice. anything in a rattle can is really diluted with solvent and propellant, so, many coats are needed. I sprayed both ends where repairs exposed bare wood 5 light/medium coats, then the entire bow with two light coats then 4 medium coats. the atomization of this material was super fine, and it laid down perfectly. I did all of the spraying about 30 minutes or so. I doubt this stuff is as good a moisture barrier as the epoxy, but the matte finish makes for an almost dull topcoat. if it is tough enough for car wheels, it ought to do fine in the deer woods. we'll see, but I'm ecstatic with how this went on and how it looks, plus I just love the smell of ketones.:geek:

IMG_2329.jpg

the matte finish is noticeably less shiny than the satin on the top bow. hard to see in the pic, though.
IMG_2331.jpg

while I was working on the static, I started shooting the BBO flatbow. same draw weight, but I think I shoot it better than the static. this flatbow was glued up with about 1" of reflex, and it still shows it when fully relaxed after a thousand shots or more. now I have to decide which one to commit to. the static is a beauty, but the flatbow is the most perfectly balanced/timed tillering job I think I've ever done. they both cast an arrow well, so I'll keep shooting them bow until a clear favorite emerges. the loser will be the primary back up bow.
IMG_2333.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 161

Jamie

Ohio
thanks, Ric, Giles.

I guess so, but I just don't think much about it in that context. the real reward comes when I use said masterpiece effectively for killing, and the satisfaction that delivers certainly has a flavor all it's own. at the end of the day, these are simple tools employed for taking lives. perhaps more elegant in appearance than other weapons, but instruments of death, nonetheless.