Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Been busy in the shop

Jamie

Ohio
well, gee whiz. thanks for all the compliments. Milo, I don't know what to say to that. I enjoy a real compliment as much as anyone, but I only wish the pleasure it brings me wasn't overpowered by the discomfort it causes me. you overestimate me, my friend.

FS, that's a lot of questions. since I don't have much of a real job, I have time to answer them, lol. making my own bows was something I wanted to do for a long time before I actually did it. the incident that pushed me over the edge is a whole other story, but I've been making wood bows since 1995 and using them for hunting exclusively since 1997. I'm more proud of that fat little Delaware county button buck I took with a hickory backed osage bow of my own construction during gun season on bowhunting only public ground in 97 than even my first deer. I don't have the words to describe what that meant to me, but it changed my life.

I got started mostly on my own with some advice on what to read. made my first bow from a piece of hickory slab wood with nothing more than a spoke shave, a cheap 4 in 1 rasp and a well sharpened paint scraper. well, after launching one arrow from that godawful thing, I was hooked, quite certain that I could make a better one, which I eventually did a year or so later, and went hunting with it. dang, that seems like a very long time ago now. I did manage to ingratiate myself to one of the best bowyers on the planet, and he certainly helped me up my game. taught me the value and importance of craftsmanship. taught me how to use hand tools for woodworking. taught me how to run a squirrel dog, too. and about a million other things that have nothing to do with making a bow. everyone should be so fortunate.

I've rather lost count of how many bows I've made, but between selfbows and BBO's it's well over 200, probably closer to 300. for a while, I was making 20 bows a year, but I've slowed down a bit here of lately. I do sell a few, but don't go out of my way to do so. I trade a few away for guns and hunting opportunities and stuff like that. I donate a few to worthy causes for raffles and such. I give away a few to friends and family. I have couple laying around here, too. :smile:

I'm no fletcher, but I do assemble my own wood arrows. haven't hunted with anything but wood arrows since 1987.

Jamie

Ohio
I'm experienced not gifted. I have spent considerable time doing this stuff, and, still, I'm a student of the craft. much of this bow building business that I occupy myself with is as old as humanity, or nearly so. this is where archery came from, we just have different, arguably better, tools today to turn trees into weapons than did Pleistocene man.

I'm satisfied with the tiller on these bows and have shot them in thoroughly. they are all now finish sanded and ready for some color and protection from moisture and injury. time for some dye and several coats of polyamide epoxy.
ready for dye.JPGIMG_0559.JPG

aniline dye is nice because you can blend colors on the work piece.
dye job 2.jpgdye job.jpg

two down, two to go.
dye job 3.jpgdye job 4.JPG

these two bows are both going down the road. the Deflex/Reflex bow is donated to OSTA for raffle at the State shoot over Labor day weekend, the static is going to SC to a friend and landowner who has allowed me to hunt and fish on his place numerous times. kilt plenty of pigs there and caught some lunker largemouth bass and crappie, too. he doesn't know that it's coming. he'll appreciate the surprise. the other two belong to me and I'll hunt with one of them this season. wait and see which one has the best mojo. :smile:

will finish dying the other two tomorrow morning and mix up some epoxy. should have enough time to get a coat or two sprayed before the butts in smoker are ready to party.

Jamie

Ohio
my temporary spray booth. epoxy overspray takes a long time to dry. pretty important to contain that mess to keep it off of everything in the shop. there is a window in there that I use for ventilation. a fan mounted outside the window pulls air(and organic vapors) from inside the booth directly outside. catalyzed epoxy vapors very flammable and very bad for your health. quality respirator and skin completely covered is a must.
IMG_0555.JPG

ready to spray
IMG_0565.JPG

this is three coats. material tacking up fast today and can be sprayed wet on wet since the drying action is chemical not evaporative. one more coat here in a minute and then allowed to dry 24 hours at 70-80 degrees. ready to sand after that
IMG_0567.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 208

Jamie

Ohio
spray work all done, vital statistics written on the bows. wooden bows require names, much like boats and children. names for bows come from peculiarities in the materials, the circumstances surrounding their construction, or some speak to us in other ways. bow rarely gets a name before it is time to actually write it on the bow. I'm pretty happy with the finish work on this family of bows. still waiting for the last clear coat to dry over top of my camo paint job, but the others have a sculpted leather shelf glued into place and are ready for the leather handle to be sewn on. then I have to make new strings for all of them, which I do not enjoy doing. at all. :(

IMG_0569.JPGIMG_0570.JPGIMG_0571.JPG

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
not sure about the raffle, Greg. I suspect that you would have to, at least, attend a shoot to buy tickets if it is in the general raffle. might have to be a member of OSTA. I'm not really sure what they intend to do with it. if they are raffling it off to whoever wants to buy a chance, maybe we can arrange a way to sell tickets here if anyone is interested(and if it is allowed). I'll talk to Matt about it.