Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Been awhile - short season

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Shot placement looks perfect. How was the exit? Where did the arrow exit? Great to see your persistence in the recovery.

Phil - I did not get a pass through, but I watched the arrow hit the off side shoulder. I was 22ft up and the deer was 18-20 yards (I don't know exact, I know he was green pin range), so shot angle shouldn't have had any issue. 10 yards into track, he broke arrow off (as you see in the first post) 1-2inches from fletching. When I found the deer, the entrance looked perfect, he must have had his offside leg back a smidge and the exit looked directly across from the entrance. However, I couldn't discern exactly where the exit was due to buzzards picking slightly at exit already, so it could have been 1-2 inches moved one direction or another.

I can say that it appeared the BH might have closed on itself, the hole in the front lung looked like it was close to the diameter of the arrow. It was to the point it, that I had a hard time really doing a full autopsy.

An absolute, unusual situation.

I can say that it appeared the BH might have closed on itself, the hole in the front lung looked like it was close to the diameter of the arrow. It was to the point it, that I had a hard time really doing a full autopsy.

An absolute, unusual situation.

Congrats on the recovery!! Did you find the broadhead end of the arrow? Seems odd how it could have closed on itself (design) without blades perhaps bending backwards after that entry hole.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Congrats on the recovery!! Did you find the broadhead end of the arrow? Seems odd how it could have closed on itself (design) without blades perhaps bending backwards after that entry hole.

I dont have any good pictures. However, the blades still looked "open" but the holes in lungs didnt appear to be the typical rage hole. I am not upset with the BH, it is hunting and stuff happens.

I will say that if I shoot every deer, for the rest of my hunting career, in that same spot - I feel I will have a really good career! HAHA!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thank you all! I am still pretty jacked up. Recently went through an SD Card, here was right before I was able to shoot him. Pretty neat to have all the history with him, again get pictures of him, then shoot him. Again, thank you all for the kind words and support!

buck 2 .jpg

buck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: