Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Battery terminal quick connects

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never seen this before. Interesting concept. Sort of like quick hubs or seat release on bicycles. Might work on marine batteries where they are on/off often. Then again, marine batteries generally have two posts for such reason. Maybe in a car with slow drain? But, I think I'd rather find the drain and fix it. Maybe for swapping batteries between multiple vehicles? Say you have a stable full of classic cars and one battery for half a dozen vehicles. I guess you could disconnect and leave in the vehicle for trickle charge over the winter as well but I usually don't disconnect for this. Help me figure out "why" you would need these. I mean, they are a cool idea. Just not sure the application or necessity.

Reactions: 5Cent

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I could see a use for these on out tractors. Since most of them don't run bit for a few weeks a year we have a disconnect on them to take the battery out of the circuit while they are being stored. The biggest problem with the disconnect is the amount of cranking amp some of them "rob". This would be another option to that.

Reactions: hickslawns

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Whatever the need, it's still not needed. Just loosen the terminal enough that it can be twisted back and forth to unseat it easily, but still able to seat it down tightly. .

Reactions: Geezer II
On vehicles that you pull the battery from seasonally, like boats and tractors stored where you don't have a power source during the winter and away from your garage. Also for non sealed battery's that are a pain in the butt to reach and refill so you got to pull them to check and top up.

In my case they look like the perfect answer for my boat battery and all the wires I've got to hook up doing "Chinese Gymnastics" in very close quarters every spring and fall! At 63 I'm about as pliable as a marble pillar and end up seeing stars and feeling cramps from my fingers to my toes before I get everything secured in the micro hold in the back of my boat. I used to park the truck in the driveway all winter and keep the boat in the garage just to avoid the twice a year pagan sacrifice of battery removal and install...and yes there was blood at times. Holding a 70 pound battery at arms length in front of me while on my knees or arse bent at a 45 degree angle to put it in the battery tray, then standing on my head to attach the various wires, only to see I was about to reverse polarity so reload and start again was kind of getting to me. Ya I know, I make up with my back and feet what I lack in Medulla Oblongada function ain't always pretty!

My only question now is will I have enough room to turn the handle down in there!!

Thanks for sharing this! And if anyone else ever felt my pain please signal with an AMEN!

On vehicles that you pull the battery from seasonally, like boats and tractors stored where you don't have a power source during the winter and away from your garage. Also for non sealed battery's that are a pain in the butt to reach and refill so you got to pull them to check and top up.

In my case they look like the perfect answer for my boat battery and all the wires I've got to hook up doing "Chinese Gymnastics" in very close quarters every spring and fall! At 63 I'm about as pliable as a marble pillar and end up seeing stars and feeling cramps from my fingers to my toes before I get everything secured in the micro hold in the back of my boat. I used to park the truck in the driveway all winter and keep the boat in the garage just to avoid the twice a year pagan sacrifice of battery removal and install...and yes there was blood at times. Holding a 70 pound battery at arms length in front of me while on my knees or arse bent at a 45 degree angle to put it in the battery tray, then standing on my head to attach the various wires, only to see I was about to reverse polarity so reload and start again was kind of getting to me. Ya I know, I make up with my back and feet what I lack in Medulla Oblongada function ain't always pretty!

My only question now is will I have enough room to turn the handle down in there!!

Thanks for sharing this! And if anyone else ever felt my pain please signal with an AMEN!
Incidentally, shipping cost from this place is huge so I will be modifying my terminal clamps with the help of my local bike shop friend and some red and black paint!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Most boat battery connections are installed with a nut. They come with wing nuts, but I change them over too a 9/16 socketed nut. Use a ratchet for install.

Reactions: hickslawns